FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Oblivion
well i never usually do them, i tend to just join a community and jump right in.

im an avid motorsports fan, have done various forms of racing my entire life.

spent 4yrs being race director / timing system guy / club organiser for a local RC offroad club, which had raced electric for many years until i used their equipment, and an old unused location to turn it into a nitro track.

for the past 18mth i havent had any club involvement as i had started flying RC planes and found them much more enjoyable (the freedom of flying anytime Vs racing only on set days, set times)

if your in adelaide or whyalla and have ever been to a "monster truck" show at wayville or adelaide ent. centre, or motoX at murray bridge speedway, or stadium truck racing at speedway city, you would have seen me + my mates thrashing our RC's off all the motoX freestyle jumps during intermission.

RC is my other hobby, been doing it approx 9 years now.
the le-mans car + the two monster trucks all have a 2spd trans.

my big block monster truck (race truck). which has a F1 style cantilever suspension

a racing weekend away.. racing 2wheel drive trucks

the nitro tourer (lemans car) at the bottom does about 60-70mph if you can control it at that speed ;)

my trainer plane (super cub) ill teach anyone to fly using this plane and a "buddy box" setup where i give/take control to/from you at the flick of a switch (like a dead man switch i guess)

i use it now with a 10mp kodak camera to take aerial photography at the click of a switch

the "Raaf Roulettes" do aerobatic demonstrations with the Pilatus PC-9

BAE Hawk jet

F4U Corsair (wwII plane)
Buzz Lightyear as the pilot.
it now has a dual bomb drop mod on it (yes, i drop the bomb by remote)

group shot! the red/white thing at the rear left, its a flying boat ;)
By Oblivion
corsair with twin bomb drop visible in flight. talcum powder explosion as the bomb splits in two.

Pitts Special, aerobatics biplane as flown by Aussie aerobatic champion Chris Sperou (his "little stinker" is red though)
Attachments:
pitts2.JPG
pitts2.JPG (94.16 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
pitts.JPG
pitts.JPG (94.69 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
corsair.JPG
corsair.JPG (20.58 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
bombs away.JPG
bombs away.JPG (102.59 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
By Oblivion
video's from my YT channel.

onboard video from my Revo monster truck @ wayville showgrounds during a full size monster truck show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAs4uQMCP1A

pitts biplane chased by murray magpie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96x-IdCRvDs

twin bomb drop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZx0om0C0Mg

4Tec pro, le-mans racer thrashing @ the Clipsal 500 main straight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_ndWHNTKGo

my corsair being chased by dogs everytime i try land at victoria park (in the heart of adelaide city)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1UW_CUJvRE

flying the super cub at St Kilda
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unyK4T8Q76M

taking off and landing from a skinny foot path, next to a creek.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpqSCfOkEXg
By jht-union
Hello Oblivion, that's nice to see someone who likes RC planes, i got a PROWLER,3 Channel Electric RTF Glider Airplane. they're really hard to fly, and is really hard to land them, i try to fly it, it only last for about 6 minutes in the air, then it crash, but hopefully nothing happened, only one piece fell off, i never replace it, and now i'm trying to sell the whole prowler, the part that is missing is like a nail that attach the wing to the body of the plane. i could have replace it but now i'm not interested in rc planes, only in VFT's.

Bye!!!!
By Oblivion
a lot of planes use either a screw or some rubber bands to attach the wing.

sadly, a lot of cheap planes are under powered and while a slow plane is good to learn on you do need to be able to give it max throttle and put it in a steep climb out before you hit the ground.

you can get free simulators and use a cheap transmitter to learn to fly a plane on your home PC. while its not totally real, it does give you the feel for the sticks.

having a friend to fly with is always good, but its best if they have experience and can help you setup your plane properly and make sure it is good for a flight.
if your learning to fly AND your plane isnt trimmed or balanced right, your in trouble.
wind direction also plays a big part (always take off and land INTO the wind for more lift at slower speeds)

its like learning to drive in a rattly old car with a clunky old motor and wobbly steering.

what sort of battery and motor is it running?
By Oblivion
3rd down. orange wing, blue fuselage
is this it?

if its the plane above, then your radio comes with a trainer cable for "buddy box" training, and for PC simulator like FMS (flight model sim, its free)

you can easily upgrade your gliders battery pack to a Li-Po using parts from hobbycity.com - ill help if you like.

you want to ditch those ~850mah nimh, go with a 3 cell Li-po for about 25% power increase and longer flight time.
Oblivion liked this
By jht-union
Oblivion wrote:3rd down. orange wing, blue fuselage
is this it?

if its the plane above, then your radio comes with a trainer cable for "buddy box" training, and for PC simulator like FMS (flight model sim, its free)

you can easily upgrade your gliders battery pack to a Li-Po using parts from hobbycity.com - ill help if you like.

you want to ditch those ~850mah nimh, go with a 3 cell Li-po for about 25% power increase and longer flight time.

Thank you very much Oblivion, sadly i sold the plane today( through craiglist) :cry: :cry:, the guy that bought it from me had like 3 rc planes in his truck, and millions of spare pieces for RC planes, he found the right piece, and well he took it. =(. thank you anyways Oblivion!!!!!!=D

Bye!
By snapperhead51
Hi Glenn
just watched your vid's on RC planes man your good !!great cam work and editing was glued to the monitor watching it all , like i said got about 6 of them here all kits, some to put together yet think we need to talk a bit ,would be keen to come see you fly your planes too very soon , look for ward to hearing from you
cheers john

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!