FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By bombsboy
how about "yellow"

i beleive mine is a yellow, because in intense sun, it never ever showed any signs of red!
By Matt
bombsboy wrote:i beleive mine is a yellow, because in intense sun, it never ever showed any signs of red!
There is already a clone circulating under that name, so unless you're 100% positive that your plant is a clone of that plant, you shouldn't name it as "Yellow".

Many people started trading any red plant they had and calling it 'Akai Ryu'. Now many people report that their 'Akai Ryu' plant isn't as vigorous of a grower that it's described to be in the ICPS registration because they aren't growing the actual 'Akai Ryu' clone, but simply another red plant that someone called 'Akai Ryu'.

Also, coloration is a very tricky thing when it comes to Dionaea. How long have you grown the plant that you think is a "yellow"? Many clones don't show much color until late in the year. Have you grown it at least a year or two? If so, and you've not seen it show any signs of red, then you may have a plant that's worth naming.

And just to clarify, the Dionaea "Yellow" clone is actually yellow in color. A plant that doesn't have any red coloration is an all green. The registered cultivar with that distinction is 'Justina Davis' and there are a few other clones circulating that are all green plants including "Grün", "Heterodoxa" and "All Green".

Ok, I'm coming down off my soap box now :)
By bombsboy
ive ben for like 2 years and no sign of red. i bought a "random" (or so said the website) cultivar for like 1$ (i forgot but cheap for its size i have to say). btw, is yellow worth anything?
By Matt
Interesting. What website did you purchase it from? I might be interested in trading for it.
bombsboy wrote:btw, is yellow worth anything?
Sure, all plants have some worth, right? Is your plant actually yellow in color or is it green? Can you take a photo?
By bombsboy
i do not want to steal this post, i will take a photo and send it on in a few minuites as a new post in fly trap discussions.
By bombsboy
and i think it was off of cooks, a long time ago. i checked now and they do not have the offer, it was an offer. if you ever buy off of there, they have offers like the one ending today. if you buy today you get a free seed packet. once i got a seed packet of n.madagascarensis, and i failed to germinate it. :lol:

great website to buy from, except shipping is crazy! i love how there is a 60 cent VTF. i got that and it grew fast! they have alot of cultivars!
What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Browning Sarracenia and Aphids

Just wanted to update that with a new light and di[…]

Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!