FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Dragon
I got a kit for growing a Venus Fly trap, but I think I may have messed up. There are two "towers" of fuzz. They look to tall to be mold, but I'm not sure. I might be able to post pics later
By Aging_Bourbon
Hello "Dragon"

Welcome to Flytrapcare! Wow congrats on the Kit. If your growing from seed it's common to have a mold outbreak. You just have to get fungicide that is SULFUR BASED or NEEM Oil.
By Dragon
By Matt
Hello Dragon, welcome!

Mold is usually the result of keeping things too wet and without much air movement. Is the kit some sort of dome? If so, you should get rid of the dome and that will likely help solve the mold problem, along with some sort of sulfur-based fungicide as Allen suggested.

I've noticed that seedlings don't like the sulfur much though, so if possible, you might want to simply repot them.
By Dragon
Yah, I got one of the egg shaped dome things form Hobby Lobby. I might just get a new one, I used bottled water to start it. I didn't know that would hurt it.
By Matt
Dragon wrote:Yah, I got one of the egg shaped dome things form Hobby Lobby. I might just get a new one, I used bottled water to start it. I didn't know that would hurt it.
You might be better off just getting some seed and planting them in a pot. Steve has some Venus fly trap seeds available right now:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/store/carniv ... -seed.html

Or you could just buy an adult plant. You're aware that it takes at least 3 years and up to 7 years to get a full grown plant from seed, right?
By Aging_Bourbon
when starting to grow CPs you need to get the right supplies to be prepared. Mainly Soil, the right water, Fungicide and Insecticide so on and so forth.
By Dragon
Matt wrote: You might be better off just getting some seed and planting them in a pot. Steve has some Venus fly trap seeds available right now:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/store/carniv ... -seed.html

Or you could just buy an adult plant. You're aware that it takes at least 3 years and up to 7 years to get a full grown plant from seed, right?
I didn't know that, There is probably a lot that I don't know though. That's why I ended up here. You all seem to know what you doing.
By Matt
Dragon wrote:I didn't know that, There is probably a lot that I don't know though. That's why I ended up here. You all seem to know what you doing.
Many of us have been growing Venus fly traps for years. Steve_D has been growing them for over 30 years.
By Dragon
I'm going to get a grown plant instead of getting new seeds. Is there anything else I need to know for it?
By Dragon
I read them. I took the dome off my plant and the mold died without any other intervention. One of the seeds has sprouted. I was super excited about this. :D
By Aging_Bourbon
Dragon wrote:I read them. I took the dome off my plant and the mold died without any other intervention. One of the seeds has sprouted. I was super excited about this. :D
Wow! Congrats!
By kittyklaws
Yay, Good for you! Congrats and enjoy your seedlings! :D

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

So, what's your watering frequency? :)

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Drosera germination time

I planted seven different types of seeds on 03/09/[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!