FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By TheRavensLetters
This is my first experience with Nepenthes, and it seems I am already killing one of them.

I bought two N. Ventricosa plants off of ebay, and they arrived last week. I planted them in separate pots with LFS and some orchid bark. I have been watering them with distilled water, and I put them on my window sill which gets a fair amount of sun.
One of the plants seems to be doing great, but the smaller one's health has been declining. I'm not sure if it's something I've done to it, or if it simply needs time to adjust. I'm scared it might be dying though. What should I do?

I'd greatly appreciate any help or advice. Thanks!

Here are a few pictures of what the plant looks like now:
December 21, 2009 094j.jpg
December 21, 2009 094j.jpg (77.42 KiB) Viewed 3504 times
December 21, 2009 103g.jpg
December 21, 2009 103g.jpg (72.58 KiB) Viewed 3504 times
December 21, 2009 101g.jpg
December 21, 2009 101g.jpg (60.47 KiB) Viewed 3504 times
By manzano167
Read this http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/viewt ... f=10&t=843 it helps alot

For me i think its sudden change of envirment might wanna ask the person who sold it to you what was his grownig conditions to change your conditions to his or hers conditions

Also dont buy from ebay buy from cobraplant.com they have lots of diffrent kinds of plants or buy from flytrapranch.com he has lots of Venus flytraps but he closes during winter time. Also their is the flytapcarestore.com their cheap and GOOD stuff is their to buy!
By Matt
Hello and welcome to FlytrapCare!

They don't look all that bad, but as you say, the small one appears to be declining. It sounds like you're doing everything right. Perhaps trying increasing the humidity for it for a week or so and see if it perks up. You can increase the humidity by covering it with a plastic bin or bag.

As John said, I sell some Nepenthes here http://FlytrapCare.com/Store

In fact, I just sold a ventricosa last week. Here's a few shots of it when it arrived to forum member BigEasy:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =50#p35508

Next time you order, you should consider ordering from the FlytrapCare Store ;)
By Aging_Bourbon
Johns right, don't trust some people on Ebay. It seems to me like they might be drying out. Just water them pure water (distilled, Rain, R.O) another problem is that it could be going through shock from change in environment. But, since that verity of Nepenthes is very easy to grow it will bounce back once you give them the right conditions.
By TheRavensLetters
Thanks for all the replies everyone!

The soil was still moist around the top, but I watered it again and added some more damp LFS around the base to help it retain moisture better. It seems a little perkier since I did that, but maybe it's just my imagination.

I also contacted the ebayer, and she said to give it a little more light (which I will be doing tomorrow).

I've got a plastic bag on him tonight to help raise the humidity like Matt said.

All in all, I did not have a bad experience with this particular ebayer. The plants are small, but the price was accordingly low, and the ebayer has been very helpful. (They're not all bad.)

Although, that N. Ventricosa from the Flytrapcare.com store looks fantastic! Next time I buy I'll give Flytrapcare.com a whirl (maybe I'll try a N. Judith Finn ;) )

Thanks again :)
By Lawndude84
Judith Finns can be a little temperamental and are very slow growers. I'd say try a N.Rafflesiana or a N.Sanguina :) .
Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!