FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Fly Trap Hunter
ginormous
ginormous
IMG_7027.JPG (720.15 KiB) Viewed 5156 times
sawtooth
sawtooth
IMG_7032.JPG (270.72 KiB) Viewed 5156 times
sawtooth x parhana
sawtooth x parhana
IMG_7030.JPG (923.32 KiB) Viewed 5156 times
Here are a few that are popping with color after getting colder at night for the last week.
Fly Trap Hunter liked this
By Orit
My VFTs are half dormant, not much to look at at the moment. Plus you never specified which fall colors. :)

This is from today's walk.
Attachments:
20171017_173634-1.jpg
20171017_173634-1.jpg (288.07 KiB) Viewed 5026 times
Orit, Orit, Orit liked this
By Shadowtski
Orit wrote:My VFTs are half dormant, not much to look at at the moment. Plus you never specified which fall colors. :)

This is from today's walk.
Love the dog!

Here's my S. rubra from Fishman, coloring up nicely for Fall.
Look at the color difference from Summer to Autumn.

Good growing,
Mike
DSC07480.JPG
DSC07480.JPG (171.42 KiB) Viewed 5015 times
DSC07482.JPG
DSC07482.JPG (124.92 KiB) Viewed 5015 times
Shadowtski, Shadowtski liked this
By Orit
Shadowtski wrote:Love the dog
Thanks, me too. :)

Those S Rubra look a lot like the unlabeled sarras I got with my premium mystery box. Wonder if there's some shared genetics. Here's one about a month ago.
Attachments:
Screenshot_2017-10-17-22-21-06.png
Screenshot_2017-10-17-22-21-06.png (1.38 MiB) Viewed 5000 times
By Fly Trap Hunter
Orit Love the dog and the trees. we mostly have pines so not much color here. Love the Pitchers Shadowski and Orit. Thanks for the pics :D
By Fly Trap Hunter
fallclors
fallclors
IMG_7318.JPG (467.72 KiB) Viewed 4827 times
Jaws (top left)has really gotten red inside the traps. Sawtooth x Pirhana is top right. Bottom left is a baby purple ambush. the second is a nice adult purple ambush. Sawtooth to the right
By riveraXVX
for fall I'll toss in a couple photos taken this afternoon:

a lil cup of 'DX XL'

'Ginormous'

and lastly the newer growth from our lil S. 'Purpurea' that onyl had two healthy pitchers when purchased

riveraXVX liked this
By Fly Trap Hunter
dcxl looking great. looks like a bunch of Ginormous's and nice pitcher. have you noticed the dcxl has fast traps? I wonder if the dcxl has extra trigger hairs? even really fine ones?
riveraXVX wrote:for fall I'll toss in a couple photos taken this afternoon:

a lil cup of 'DX XL'

'Ginormous'

and lastly the newer growth from our lil S. 'Purpurea' that onyl had two healthy pitchers when purchased

By riveraXVX
hmm I'll pull one of the DC XL pots inside and try to take some macro shots as close as I can get to the inside and we can check on the trigger hairs haha it seems to close with the same snap/bite of most of our other plants (B-52/it seem to be nearly identical) at least in my times feeding. for how small those 'DC XL' plants were when purchased I'm staggered by how nice they look currently it took them a while to really take off once getting settled in here but they are looking real nice real quick after the fact!

our second Purpurea looks nice also it is just much smaller. I thought the photo showing all the new pitchers forming looked way neater so decided on that one to show!
By Fly Trap Hunter
that green pitcher to the right is looking nice as well.
riveraXVX wrote:hmm I'll pull one of the DC XL pots inside and try to take some macro shots as close as I can get to the inside and we can check on the trigger hairs haha it seems to close with the same snap/bite of most of our other plants (B-52/it seem to be nearly identical) at least in my times feeding. for how small those 'DC XL' plants were when purchased I'm staggered by how nice they look currently it took them a while to really take off once getting settled in here but they are looking real nice real quick after the fact!

our second Purpurea looks nice also it is just much smaller. I thought the photo showing all the new pitchers forming looked way neater so decided on that one to show!
By riveraXVX
S. Carolina Yellow Jacket

picked that one up from a local gentlemen here in town!

here is the photo of it from the other day for whatever reason I only saved a cropped edit but:

to be fair it was a VERY stuffed pot to begin with! a vigorous plant from what I read up on it after the fact if I remember right its a complex hybrid of Purpurea, Rosea and Flava

edit to add, here you go! they actually originated from UNC Charlotte also!
Sarracenia ‘Carolina Yellow Jacket‘ is a cross between S. purpurea forma heterophylla and S. purpurea forma heterophylla × flava produced at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte Botanical Gardens about 1990 as part of a Sarracenia breeding program.

Sarracenia ‘Carolina Yellow Jacket’ is unique in that it survives the hot summers of North Carolina. It is quite a rare chance seedling involving anthocyanin free S. purpurea subsp. pupurea and an all yellow S. flava, and arose in a batch of seedlings not all of which were anthocyanin free. It forms a very vigorous rapidly-enlarging clump with decumbent yet upright, very thick-textured, pitchers, to 30 cm long, elongated and nearly hairless, with the hood margin often pinched in or touching over the mouth (Fig. 8), displaying the fact that it is two parts northern S. purpurea forma heterophylla and one part S. flava. The pitcher color is uniform, appearing from Granny Smith apple-green to rich chrome or lemon yellow depending on the time of year and growing conditions. The flowers are produced abundantly in the clump (one per growth) and all parts are green to bright yellow.

The name Carolina Yellow Jacket was coined about 2005 by David Crump alluding to the bright yellow color of the leaves and flowers and that it arose in North Carolina.

Must be reproduced asexually to retain the cultivar traits.

— Larry Mellichamp • Charlotte • North Carolina 28205
riveraXVX liked this
By Mawy_Plants
Both taken last Thursday (10/26), but wanted to share!

My first born Dionaea. And my set of fraternal Sarracenia twins. :lol:
Attachments:
An artistic angle!
An artistic angle!
IMG_5410.JPG (957.54 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
Put on some nice color since Sept.
Put on some nice color since Sept.
IMG_5438.JPG (1.13 MiB) Viewed 4741 times
By Fly Trap Hunter
riveraXVX wrote:S. Carolina Yellow Jacket

picked that one up from a local gentlemen here in town!

here is the photo of it from the other day for whatever reason I only saved a cropped edit but:

to be fair it was a VERY stuffed pot to begin with! a vigorous plant from what I read up on it after the fact if I remember right its a complex hybrid of Purpurea, Rosea and Flava

edit to add, here you go! they actually originated from UNC Charlotte also!
Sarracenia ‘Carolina Yellow Jacket‘ is a cross between S. purpurea forma heterophylla and S. purpurea forma heterophylla × flava produced at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte Botanical Gardens about 1990 as part of a Sarracenia breeding program.

Sarracenia ‘Carolina Yellow Jacket’ is unique in that it survives the hot summers of North Carolina. It is quite a rare chance seedling involving anthocyanin free S. purpurea subsp. pupurea and an all yellow S. flava, and arose in a batch of seedlings not all of which were anthocyanin free. It forms a very vigorous rapidly-enlarging clump with decumbent yet upright, very thick-textured, pitchers, to 30 cm long, elongated and nearly hairless, with the hood margin often pinched in or touching over the mouth (Fig. 8), displaying the fact that it is two parts northern S. purpurea forma heterophylla and one part S. flava. The pitcher color is uniform, appearing from Granny Smith apple-green to rich chrome or lemon yellow depending on the time of year and growing conditions. The flowers are produced abundantly in the clump (one per growth) and all parts are green to bright yellow.

The name Carolina Yellow Jacket was coined about 2005 by David Crump alluding to the bright yellow color of the leaves and flowers and that it arose in North Carolina.

Must be reproduced asexually to retain the cultivar traits.

— Larry Mellichamp • Charlotte • North Carolina 28205
thanks they are velvety looking to me. yours look better than ones in the wild. at rehder gardens they are mostly dead.
Mawy_Plants wrote:Both taken last Thursday (10/26), but wanted to share!

My first born Dionaea. And my set of fraternal Sarracenia twins. :lol:
nice. thank you. is that a B52?

I went out to rehder gardens today and the Sarracenia are really beat up, almost dead looking at this point. Quite a few of the fly traps that I took pictures of are gone. Someone took them. :cry: There are thousands in the gardens but still, its a felony to take them from the wild. I hope it was the caretaker and not visitors, but they are so beautiful I understand why they would want them.

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!