FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Shelilla
I have been wanting to get one for a while now, so I've asked for a Macro camera for my birthday! I am constantly taking pictures of my tiny sticky babies (I mean Sundew seedlings), but an iPhone camera and magnifying glass can only go so far! I would LOVE to be able to take very clear, in-focus pictures with a much better resolution than what my phone has (because as is even an extremely clear, focused image goes blurry when you zoom in)
I was doing a bit of research and found an article on macro photography, which recommended point-and-shoot cameras rather than ones with a macro lens, because you can get much closer to the subject. I would really like this aspect too! The article recommended this camera as one of them, and a tabletop tripod: https://www.amazon.ca/Pentax-Ricoh-WG-3 ... B00OUX73S0

Would anyone else who's tried macro photography before recommend this type of camera?

And also, if not or even if so, what do you like to use for taking close-ups of tiny plants? I would love to learn some techniques as well if you know some!

Thanks!
By evenwind
Shelilla wrote: Would anyone else who's tried macro photography before recommend this type of camera?
I use a similar camera (Olympus TG-4) and it does what I want it to do. It's not going to get great pics of tiny bugs, but for getting sharp pics of small plants, it's great.
evenwind liked this
By xr280xr
Olloclip for iPhone is a pretty cool, inexpensive (in the photography world) option.

https://www.olloclip.com/shop/shop/ipho ... -lens-set/

FYI, the one I had for the iPhone 4 had a verrrry tiny depth of field.
xr280xr liked this
By KategoricalKarnivore
I use a clip on lens for my iPhone and it takes pretty good pics for cheap.
By evenwind
I finally remembered why I chose the Olympus over the Ricoh - but my reason may not be important to you.

The Ricoh manual talks about the LEDs always being "on" in macro mode. I couldn't find anything about an overrride to shut them off. I want to be in control of the lighting during macro shots, especially of the color temperature. The Olympus lets me shut off the LEDs. Maybe the Ricoh does, too. But maybe it doesn't.
evenwind liked this
By avadakedavra
Now I take some pictures of my VFT seedlings.

This is default camera app for iphone 7.Image

This is camera+ macro mode.

This is camera+ and small macro lens.

This is retouched with 'Rookie Cam'Image

These are 3 in 1 lens I used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
avadakedavra liked this
By riveraXVX
I just ordered a decent canon lens for our DSLR setup for doing macro shots, can't wait for it to get here and play around with it!
By avadakedavra
riveraXVX wrote:I just ordered a decent canon lens for our DSLR setup for doing macro shots, can't wait for it to get here and play around with it!
Sounds nice !
Have fun and enjoy it :-)

avadakedavra liked this
By riveraXVX
avadakedavra wrote:
riveraXVX wrote:I just ordered a decent canon lens for our DSLR setup for doing macro shots, can't wait for it to get here and play around with it!
Sounds nice !
Have fun and enjoy it :-)

thank you! Canon had a deal on their refurbished lenses where with the lens I wanted Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro lens you got a free close-up 500D lens to go with it

I *really* wanted the 100mm macro they make but can't justify the price on it for something I literally just want to play around with for my own personal enjoyment, but I've wanted one for some time! I love taking photos of all the creepy crawlies, and textures, and nature stuff. another small tool in the camera bag!
By evenwind
This is about as close as my Olympus TG-4 can get. (The smeared part at the lower right is where the lens touched the plant.)
Attachments:
P9290707.JPG
P9290707.JPG (27.96 KiB) Viewed 4466 times
evenwind, evenwind liked this
By riveraXVX
evenwind wrote:This is about as close as my Olympus TG-4 can get. (The smeared part at the lower right is where the lens touched the plant.)
I really like those Olympus cameras also, for such an easy to use all in one package its a great camera.

we have a lower end canon (550D/T2i) that we purchased used a few years ago and enjoy it, we skimped on the camera itself but have some decent glass to go on it, best I was able to capture of seeds germinating the other night actually setting up lighting for it and trying to get a clear shot:

By riveraXVX
got our lens in today, did a couple quick and semi poorly lit photos just to see how it looks in a hurry. still have to work on the lighting setup for actually staging photos in doors however here are three of the 20 or so I snapped playing around!

Drosera seedlings they are so small even with magnifying glass hard to see much more than they are green.

getting a closer look at what tracyi had for dinner

dried out leaves from a sensitive plant
riveraXVX liked this
By Shelilla
xr280xr wrote:Olloclip for iPhone is a pretty cool, inexpensive (in the photography world) option.

Hey, I was curious to know- what do the pictures look like when you take them with that lens? Could I see some that you've taken with it, cause it looks pretty cool and high-tech and I'm curious now :)
By Bob Beer
Shelilla wrote:
xr280xr wrote:Olloclip for iPhone is a pretty cool, inexpensive (in the photography world) option.

Hey, I was curious to know- what do the pictures look like when you take them with that lens? Could I see some that you've taken with it, cause it looks pretty cool and high-tech and I'm curious now :)
I use Olloclip; here are some photos with both macros and no zooming so that you can see what they do. Depth of field is a bigger issue the greater the magnification. This can be useful if you want to highlight a small subject but not so much if you’re trying to shoot something with greater depth. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Bob Beer liked this
Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!