FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Benurmanii
These Pings even get people who aren't that interested in Pings excited, so I decided to share mine. Some pics are from earlier in the summer, as the temperates are all dormant now, and the calderoniae is in winter phase at the moment.

P. filifolia subsp. alba
filifolia1.jpg
filifolia1.jpg (995.02 KiB) Viewed 4233 times
filifolia2.jpg
filifolia2.jpg (780.98 KiB) Viewed 4233 times
P. heterophylla
het6.jpg
het6.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 4233 times
het7.jpg
het7.jpg (913.74 KiB) Viewed 4233 times
het8.jpg
het8.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 4233 times
P. gypsicola
gypsic1.jpg
gypsic1.jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 4233 times
gypsic2.jpg
gypsic2.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 4233 times
gypsic3.jpg
gypsic3.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 4233 times
P. moctezumae
moct1.jpg
moct1.jpg (1 MiB) Viewed 4233 times
moct2.jpg
moct2.jpg (708.12 KiB) Viewed 4233 times
P. calderoniae
calderoniae6_7_2017.jpg
calderoniae6_7_2017.jpg (990.48 KiB) Viewed 4233 times
P. vallisneriifolia
vallisneriifolia6_11_2017.jpg
vallisneriifolia6_11_2017.jpg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 4233 times
valli3.jpg
valli3.jpg (1.76 MiB) Viewed 4233 times
valli4.jpg
valli4.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 4233 times
P. longifolia
longjune.jpg
longjune.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 4233 times
longred6_13_2017.jpg
longred6_13_2017.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 4233 times
I attempted to grow P. elongata for a bit, but it died once night temps rose above 55 °F, so I'll probably need to use a chest freezer grow area if I try to grow it again. Here is mine when it was at its best
elongata4.jpg
elongata4.jpg (837 KiB) Viewed 4233 times
Last edited by Benurmanii on Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Hungry Plants
Damn you! Now theres more plant I have to hunt down and buy. lol :lol:

In all seriousness all beautifull plant. I didn't know Ping grew like that. If I was left on my own to guess I would have said some sort of sundew. Any tips on an easy one to try like that.
By Benurmanii
Hungry Plants wrote:Damn you! Now theres more plant I have to hunt down and buy. lol :lol:

In all seriousness all beautifull plant. I didn't know Ping grew like that. If I was left on my own to guess I would have said some sort of sundew. Any tips on an easy one to try like that.
Easiest one, IMO, is calderoniae, but I've never seen it for sale/trade in the US, except from myself (sorry, not trying to sound like I'm forcing you to obtain one through me, but people don't seem to make their BCP plants available, or perhaps just nobody else has gotten calderoniae from a group order).

P. heterophylla is also quite straightforward, and won't randomly go in and out of succulent phase like calderoniae, but again, I've never seen it for sale in the US. This one forms a true bulb during its winter phase, which seems to intimidate some people, but it really just means you should keep it bone dry during the winter.

Of course there is always P. gypsicola, which more people grow than the above Pings (at least in the US), but people may try to get a pretty penny from ya for one.

Edit: I forgot to mention moctezumae. This one is by far the most common in the US, and the easiest, as I'm quite certain it doesn't have a succulent phase, though for some reason, there is no direct answer to this online and I only recently received mine.
Benurmanii liked this
By Hungry Plants
Benurmanii wrote:
Hungry Plants wrote:Damn you! Now theres more plant I have to hunt down and buy. lol :lol:

Easiest one, IMO, is calderoniae, but I've never seen it for sale/trade in the US, except from myself (sorry, not trying to sound like I'm forcing you to obtain one through me, but people don't seem to make their BCP plants available, or perhaps just nobody else has gotten calderoniae from a group order).

P. heterophylla is also quite straightforward, and won't randomly go in and out of succulent phase like calderoniae, but again, I've never seen it for sale in the US. This one forms a true bulb during its winter phase, which seems to intimidate some people, but it really just means you should keep it bone dry during the winter.

Of course there is always P. gypsicola, which more people grow than the above Pings (at least in the US), but people may try to get a pretty penny from ya for one.

Edit: I forgot to mention moctezumae. This one is by far the most common in the US, and the easiest, as I'm quite certain it doesn't have a succulent phase, though for some reason, there is no direct answer to this online and I only recently received mine.
Thanks for the info. If your interested in separating with one of those easy ones in a few weeks PM me and let me know.
By jeff
Bonjour

very nice long leaves collection

no medusinae ?

if you want on vallisneriifolia and longifolia very long leaves ( 15 cm) tilt the pots

I have try filiformis and elongata without great success, just 2 year with one winter , for me plant too difficult here to LE MANS

for filiformis the substrate has been the problem
for elongata the substrate and difficult seasonality.

here in Europe the moctezumae behave like the temperate ones but in fact without sign of dormancy,keep it always moist above 5°c

jeff
jeff liked this
By Benurmanii
I do have medusina, but they did not ship well from BCP so they are from pullings and still very small. For longifolia and vallisneriifolia, I do tilt the pots slightly, except for longifolia "red" as the leaves are a lot stickier and seem to get long either way (for the other vallisneriifolia clone, I just didn't have room to tilt the pot).

I believe that ease of growth with P. elongata relies a lot in getting the cold night temps it experiences in nature. The plant did well while my night temps were. I just kept the humidity high, good airflow, and just moist substrate (pure perlite).

P. filifolia has so far been easy for me, first flower is coming up now. The other two people growing it in the US are also having great success, but they have the luxury of growing it outdoors in Florida. It seems like just standard hot temps, high humidity, and high light is what is necessary for it.
By jeff
Bonjour

the P.longifolia subsp longifolia f pinetensis is not a cultivar ( longifolia 'red'' ),we find them 'in situ' in SPAIN and in FRANCE may be a speciation not a hybrid .
all my temperate ping are always outdoor , actually in hibernaculae

my elongata try without great sucess,last pictures before their death

'in situ' filifolia grow in a substrat a little bit special ,very white sand with organic matter below , daytime temperature 30-40°c, if you expose them to temperatures lower than 10 ° c it will probably be fatal.
see here the area in cuba
http://www.pinguicula.org/pages/plantes ... ifolia.htm

my filifolia try

gypsophila

medusinae

see the keikis at the end of a leaf

jeff
By Benurmanii
Oh, I know it's not a cultivar, the double quotes denotes a descriptive term, like Drosera capillaris "long arm". I was informed by Eric Partrat that it may be longifolia that was backcrossed with grandiflora, not sure how all that works with what counts a hybrid or speciation when it is just a little bit of grandiflora in there.

My temperates are also currently hibernacula. During the summer, I bring them inside to keep them in cooler day temps. The photos of the temperates were taken during the summer, around June.
By jeff
Bonjour

see here one of mine

I know this taxon well, since it was I who found it, about twenty years ago.
it was I , who discovered it at ERIC 'in situ'

to the views of the plant, which does not have much of a grandiflora, I would talk more speciation or mutation than hybridization, but , caryological, DNA, and palynological analyses we will say more.
all I can tell you is that it is perennial in time and reproducible by seeds

see here others infos and pictures on my web site : http://fern72.free.fr/siteweb/donnees-m ... gpin.html#

now for these rupicole calcareous ping I use this area :
manufacturing in 2016
for this beginning of rendering in 2017

jeff
By Benurmanii
Oh wow! Did not know you were the one who found it.

I plan to move my limestone-growing European pings to a more calcareous mix before spring; they are in peat mixes currently since when I received the hibernacula from BCP last year I did not have any limestone material. I did add some to the tops of the lots later when I acquired some, however. I am unsure of that made really any difference.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!