FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By zoliky
Hello, I have some Drosera binata (t-form) seedlings. Does this species need its dormancy, or can it survive without? My seedlings are just a couple of months old and I was thinking on keeping them under lights during the winter with the sub-tropicals, but the growing room is heated.
By tannerm
As said, they don’t need dormancy. Mine grew all through the winter in normal tropical conditions just fine :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tannerm liked this
By Shadowtski
I grow several forms of Drosera binata.

The Drosera binata T-Form I grow is from ICPS Seedbank seed which originated in Coromandel, New Zealand. It colors up pretty Red and grows to 4 - 6 inches tall. In Winter, mine stop growing almost completely. They don't form a hibernacula or die back. They sit in my cool/cold basement under LEDs (synced to local Sunrise/Sunset times) with a low temperature of 45 or so.

My tropical forms of Drosera binata do continue to grow over Winter if temperatures are warm enough. This type will die back to the roots if subjected to low temperatures. I had a Multifida go belly up and die back when I left it outside down to low 30s nighttime temperatures. The following Spring it did return, growing back from its surviving roots.

This how they grow for me, under my conditions. Your results may be different.

In a warmer spot with longer photoperiod, yours may continue to grow.

Try it and let us know how it works for you.

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski liked this
By Toady
Sorry to ask people to repeat themselves, but I just wanted to be completely sure because it contradicts some of the information out there—all forms of D. binata can forego dormancy without harm? If true, I wonder why that information isn't more widely known.

I have some small T-forms that came along with a D. filiformis I received today. If they can be grown like subtropicals, I'd like to separate them out and move them indoors with my capensis for the winter. But I'd like more confirmation first before risking their little sundew lives.
By hollyhock
D.binata all forms I believe don't need any dormancy period. Sometimes because of light or temperature factors they may suddenly seem like they die back. The plant will almost certainly grow back if this happens.They have very thick root system. The D.filiormis on the other hand will require a dormancy period and will form this little bud like thing in the center of the plant. When mine form the hibernaculum bud I cut way back on watering them.
By Toady
Thanks for the info. In the end, I decided to let the binata plants stay outside with the filiformis and go through the dormancy they'd experience in their natural habitat. Besides, I didn't want to disturb the dormant filiformis to dig them out, and one of them is little more than a plantlet that I'd be afraid of damaging.
Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!