FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Jaws
Im making a bog garden from an old plastic bathtub (full size one), i have watched loads of videos and read up but i just wanted to ask if anyone has done one themselves with their own experiences ? Should i leave the drain hole in the bottom slightly uncovered or seal it ? I was going to put the plug in it, but i would appreciate any advice, cheers.
By KategoricalKarnivore
You will want to plug the hole up. You want that tub to hold water in it.
By Jaws
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:You will want to plug the hole up. You want that tub to hold water in it.
I thought that 100% but wasnt sure if it would need any outlet (even partial) atall in bottom so it wouldnt get waterlogged* (imin *UK lol)
By Nick
I made a bog garden out of a plastic pond liner. Instead of making drain holes in the bottom, I made holes in the side so that the planter would retain water but the water table could only progress to the height of the holes, keeping the rhizomes protected from rot/waterlogging.
Nick liked this
By Jaws
Yeah im gonna just put some gauze over the overflow hole for surface drainage.
By steve booth
Some plugged drain holes in the side (plug with corks) will be useful to adjust water levels, too high and you will not get oxygen to the roots and will get anaerobic conditions, plus VFTs (or SARS for that matter) don't want it waterlogged over winter.
Just damp is good over winter and water levels below the root level during full growth in summer.
Cheers
Steve
steve booth liked this
By KategoricalKarnivore
I have a container bog that stays constantly waterlogged. The high water level is about 2-3 inches below the surface of the soil. I fill it up to this point every afternoon and by the next afternoon it's usually dropped about 4-6 inches below the high level. There are sarrs VFTs pings drosera and utrics in there and they all overwinter just fine being waterlogged.
By Jaws
I always thought too much water around the roots of VFT can rot the roots though ?
By KategoricalKarnivore
In my growing conditions VFTs have never rotted from too much water. None of mine have ever rotted and I keep mine sitting in trays with water most of the year. It may be different for others though.
By Jaws
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:In my growing conditions VFTs have never rotted from too much water. None of mine have ever rotted and I keep mine sitting in trays with water most of the year. It may be different for others though.
Found this thread, i think you must have just been fortunate.
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/root-rot-t2430.html

I expect as your in Texas the heat probably stops them getting over wet.

This video of making a bog garden in a bathtub has no holes in the side and these guys are pros who made the video.
Although i was in shock at him using a hose to the mains to water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4iRAtNcDB0&t=236s
By Jaws
Had a brainwave, im going to get 3 or 4 inch diameter plastic pipes and push them at intervals down into the compost with a small piece protruding above the compost. Each of these pipes i shall drill with several holes, air will then be able to get down into the main compost.
The plants must be ok overall in a bath as the pros in the above video did it and it flourished, but i agree i think it will benefit in some way getting some air into the main depth of the compost.

Winter ill probably cover with some garden plastic (with a framework) sheeting so it doesnt get waterlogged.

still growing, inside pitcher still looks OK hopin[…]

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!