FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Mawy_Plants
Hello! New to the Nepenthes Genus here. Pretty excited to have one especially since my motherland is the Philippines. Hoping to see them flourishing in nature when I do go back!

So I saved a Nepenthes from Lowe's this past Saturday and I'm not sure what species it is. An identification would be wonderful! Much easier to figure out preferred conditions for this little one. I haven't repotted yet, obviously.

So far I've been spraying the pitchers with DI water, in the mornings and evenings. Yesterday I did water some since the LFS it's potted in was feeling dry. I didn't go too crazy with the watering and suspending the pot so that it may drip. No water went through. Haha.

Welcome to any advice as well. Thank you for your help!
Attachments:
Taken 09/17
Taken 09/17
IMG_4788.JPG (440.96 KiB) Viewed 5006 times
Taken 09/17
Taken 09/17
IMG_4787.JPG (453.05 KiB) Viewed 5006 times
Last edited by Mawy_Plants on Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Nick
Since it is from Lowe's, there is a very high chance that it is a ventrata (ventricosa x alata).

These are very hardy for Nepenthes, and a wonderful starting point. They can adjust to many conditions but Nepenthes generally enjoy high humidity.
By Mawy_Plants
Thanks, Nick!

I have seen that hybrid name floating around. Now to read up on both those species to have a better idea how to care for this little one!
By Tryner78
Nick wrote:Since it is from Lowe's, there is a very high chance that it is a ventrata (ventricosa x alata).

These are very hardy for Nepenthes, and a wonderful starting point. They can adjust to many conditions but Nepenthes generally enjoy high humidity.
I love mine so far, and mine at least likes the large amounts of water it has been getting. So far it has been opening new leaves non stop, with multiple pitchers on the way! there seems to be either two growth points or two plants in my pot, but they have developed 8 leaves in a bit less than two months.
It's a bit early to tell, but I agree with ya, ventrata has those toothed pitchers when it is young. Good luck and good growing!
Last edited by Tryner78 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Mawy_Plants
Thanks Fly Trap Hunter, let's hope I continue keeping it that way! :lol:

At least you are the bigger person, tryner78!

May I ask how you grow your N. ventrata? For some reason I'm babying this fellow more than my Cephs (and I've read this species is perhaps the most hardy of all Neps). Maybe it's bc they were bare root when shipped, I had no choice but to repot. Lol. And the latitude where I live is similar to that of Albany, AUS so that gives me confidence.

I'm contemplating whether to top or tray water. As well as what media mixture. If there's a forum or site you may know which would help, I wouldn't mind reading up. I have been researching a decent amount. Helps that I've gotten two suggestions for it's species.

I'm from where both parents, if it is N. ventrata are endemic to! Being able to grow them should be running thru my veins! :D
By HeliamphoraWalnut
Although some other picky neps may care about how you water, ventrata doesn't give a crap. I've accidentally forgotten to water it many times yet it keeps on going. Just keep it damp and you'll be fine. And don't worry about water in the tray, as some growers will freak out about.
By Mawy_Plants
Thanks HeliamphoraWalnut!

That's awesome, guess since it's
my first Nep, I keep reading up about best ways to care for one. I'd love to see what it can really do!

I've gotten advice to top water CPs since it helps oxegenate the roots. That's how nature does it, right?? I've decided to have a drip tray, but slightly elevated so that it helps keep the humidity up without keeping the media too moist. From what you said, N. ventrata isn't too picky about being left in standing water? I'm paranoid about root/ crown rot! (Me freaking out!) Haha.

I guess what really matters is do works best for me to keep to a consistent schedule so that the plant adjusts accordingly! Within reason that is. :)
By Tryner78
Yeah, it's not picky at all about standing water. In fact, I think mine quite likes it! I give it as much water as it will drink, and sometimes leave the tray filled over an inch. I let it dry periodically though. It is one thirsty plant if you let it drink!
By Mawy_Plants
Tryner78 wrote:It is one thirsty plant if you let it drink!
They are endemic to the tropics! I can understand their love of water. Haha. I've decided to have mine sitting on top of a slightly smaller cup filled with water as well as the tray to increase surrounding humidtity.
Attachments:
Taken 09/20
Taken 09/20
IMG_4871.JPG (782.18 KiB) Viewed 4891 times
Taken 09/20
Taken 09/20
IMG_4868.JPG (1.01 MiB) Viewed 4891 times
By Mawy_Plants
Just wanted to mentioned that I repotted my Nepenthes the other day.

Still needs time to adjust to the shock, hopefully it starts pushing out growth from here on!
Attachments:
Taken 09/22
Taken 09/22
IMG_4892.JPG (763.6 KiB) Viewed 4848 times
By Mawy_Plants
Since I haven't posted a progress in months, here we are so far! Nef in all her glory.
Taken 11/30
Taken 11/30
IMG_6169.JPG (1.13 MiB) Viewed 4635 times
Taken 11/30
Taken 11/30
IMG_6170.JPG (745.06 KiB) Viewed 4635 times
Also added Nepenthes sanguinea end of Oct. Starting to push out new growth, slowly but surely.
Taken 11/30
Taken 11/30
IMG_6164.JPG (992.87 KiB) Viewed 4635 times
By Fly Trap Hunter
nice job! pretty pitcher. is that moss alive in the pot? Does it get moist enough for the moss to be happy? it looks like it. I have some live sphag like that and it doesn't look as good as yours.
By Mawy_Plants
Thank you, FTH! I can see why there are so many that grow Nepenthes. It's such a neat process seeing them balloon up and watch their traits come in.

It's seems like the moss does enjoy the conditions I have given. I planted S. capifollium (red) with my other Nep. When I first recieved my mosses, I planted a chunk of all 3 varieties to see which fairs best under my conditions for the Nepenthes which are all considered beginner species so it may vary with other species. I found that S. palustre (green) has some browning tips especially when exposed to more air/ sun. Pieces hiding under leaves are still green. Probably bc that species likes it really moist/ less light and I don't keep my Neps that wet. My media drains really well. Whenever I mist the moss, the soil drips soon after. I mist every few days or so directly on the moss. They are in high humidity since they're covered with a clear bin (mini greenhouse) and I only open it in the mornings and/ or evenings just to check them out for a bit. I hardly ever leave it off for long periods of time, just to air out, so I believe that really helps.

If you do plan to add moss to your Nepenthes (whenever you do get some) I suggest planting about 1.5" deep with either a cm to an inch above the media. At least that's what I've done and it's done well so far. I also planted some pieces that were merely captiulum tips and they have grown some. As long as you keep them close enough together to prevent drying out.

I'm no way a pro in cultivating sphagnum, just found what works for me and my plants!

I am considering planing sphagnum with my other plants, but not sure how I could mimic certain conditions since my temperates are all full sun and I doubt the moss will do well unless I leave the pots in standing water and partially covered by the plant. I will probably experiment this next growing season.
By Bluemoon
Nice to see that your Neps are thriving. Ventrata is almost bullet-proof; it has tolerated temperatures from 40F to 100F in my experience. A freeze will kill it though. Similar with sanguinea, especially if it's the common Agristarts clone (AKA sanguinea 'orange').
Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!