FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By shenri
Greetings,

These Cape sundews from the FTS seed bank (thanks Mike) are in a small yogurt cup and are about 5 months old. They have just recently started catching flys in addition to countless gnats. Can you spot the 3 meaty flys? I'm guessing they should be split up and repotted. Should I take a spoon and try to scoop out the larger ones one by one or dump the whole pot and try to pick them out that way? Will the roots be tangled and tough to separate?
IMG_2453.JPG
IMG_2453.JPG (812.88 KiB) Viewed 3968 times
shenri liked this
By Shadowtski
shenri wrote:Greetings,

These Cape sundews from the FTS seed bank (thanks Mike) are in a small yogurt cup and are about 5 months old. They have just recently started catching flys in addition to countless gnats. Can you spot the 3 meaty flys? I'm guessing they should be split up and repotted. Should I take a spoon and try to scoop out the larger ones one by one or dump the whole pot and try to pick them out that way? Will the roots be tangled and tough to separate?
IMG_2453.JPG
You could separate the blob into 3 or 4 blobs. Put each in a pot around 4 inches across and 4 to 6 inches deep. Bag them after repotting in case any roots get damaged.

Or you could get the soil very very wet and gently pull out your bigger ones with a fork or something like that. Pot them up in individual pots. Again, bag after repotting for a week or two. As the small ones grow, you can transplant them later as they become big enough.

Looking good!

Good growing,
Mike
By Fishkeeper
It won't hurt them that badly to be crowded. Since carnivorous plants don't need any nutrients from the soil, they don't compete with each other very much for space, as long as they're getting enough light.

I'd go with the above suggestion. Just separate the clump into several clumps and repot, that'll be much less hard on them.
By shenri
How's that?
IMG_2454.JPG
IMG_2454.JPG (923.35 KiB) Viewed 3914 times
By shenri
Thanks for the suggestion. I would have never thought of bagging them. They should be ok. The long roots didn't break when I scooped them out with a fork.
By Frothy_Milk
Shadowtski wrote:
shenri wrote:Greetings,

IMG_2453.JPG
You could separate the blob into 3 or 4 blobs. Put each in a pot around 4 inches across and 4 to 6 inches deep. Bag them after repotting in case any roots get damaged.

Or you could get the soil very very wet and gently pull out your bigger ones with a fork or something like that. Pot them up in individual pots. Again, bag after repotting for a week or two. As the small ones grow, you can transplant them later as they become big enough.

Looking good!

Good growing,
Mike
What do you mean by bagging after repotting, and what does that do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Shadowtski
What do you mean by bagging after repotting, and what does that do?

Usually when I repot, transplant, or pot up a freshly purchaseds plant, I put a large clear plastic bag over the plant and pot. I put it in a well lit area that is shaded from noonday sun.

This reduces stress to the plant, reduces leaf transpiration, and allows the roots to get settled in.

After a week to 2 weeks, I remove the bag. The plant is all dewed up and stays that way.

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski liked this
By riveraXVX
Shadowtski wrote:What do you mean by bagging after repotting, and what does that do?

Usually when I repot, transplant, or pot up a freshly purchaseds plant, I put a large clear plastic bag over the plant and pot. I put it in a well lit area that is shaded from noonday sun.

This reduces stress to the plant, reduces leaf transpiration, and allows the roots to get settled in.

After a week to 2 weeks, I remove the bag. The plant is all dewed up and stays that way.

Good growing,
Mike
I've been starting to do this with all our plants after repotting now, figure it works to help germination and seedlings why not adults!

about to unbag our nep we destroyed the entire root system on a week or so ago in another few days!
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!