FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Aozora
its been a while since i've last been on the forum, mainly because during the summer i relocated all of my plants outside and let nature do its thing (95% of my plants are temperate). but now that the temperatures are dropping to as low a 5'C at night i feel like its time to get my nepenthes back into the house. but as this will be my first fall/winter period with nepenthes what will be the best way to keep them alive till spring?

do they still need sunlight or will indirect light be enough for the next few months?

and as a side question, the nepenthes are still in the containers they came in when i bought them and i'd like to repot them, but have 0 acces to sphagnum moss, what media will be best for them to be placed in?
By Nick
Nepenthes require less light than plants such as VFTs or Sarracennia, but they will still need a decent bit of sunlight. Many folks grow on windowsills year-round with no problems, assuming the light is adequate. You may want to spray the pitchers with distilled water daily to keep the humidity up, though.

Most growers I have come across use sphagnum or sphagnum/perlite mixes. I would suggest trying to source some proper media instead of a new mix. You may be able to get away with an orchid mix if those are available, but that is unfamiliar territory for me.
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!