FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By nancykarst
Hello, everyone!! My name is Nancy and I live in a small town in Central Kansas. My family and I "adopted" a Dentate Venus Fly Trap on August 21, 2017 (yes, the day of the total solar eclipse). My son has named him "Chompy". This is our first Venus Fly Trap and we are SOOOOO nervous!! We really want him to live!! We put him out for four hours every morning and make sure he sits in a bowl of distilled water for 30 minutes per day. Other than that, he just hangs out in the house. He is just a little guy. Many of his traps have died since we got him, but he has one good big one and a few small ones. I was really upset today because I dropped him on the ground when I was bringing him in and his plastic cup broke. I had to duct tape it back together. He wasn't damaged, but I hope the stress of the fall doesn't hurt him in any way. We are doing our best to provide the best possible care for Chompy so I'm sure I will be asking a lot of questions!! I hope that is okay!!! Happy growing, everyone!!!!
nancykarst, nancykarst liked this
By Shadowtski
Welcome to the forum!
You'll meet a lot of nice people here and hopefully find answers to many of your questions.
Matt, who runs the forum, has put up some excellent articles on raising Flytraps.
You'll find them here: Http://www.flytrapcare.com

I'm a Sundew guy, not a Flytrap expert but I do have one suggestion. I think Flytraps are happier staying outside for 3 seasons, rather than bringing them in and out every day. I think people who are more knowledgeable than me might chime in with their opinion.

Anything I suggest is just my Two Cents worth.

So come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell. :)

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski liked this
By saltyop
welcome to the forums nancy! just to reassure ya, chompy will be just fine as long as his rhizome, his heart isn't damaged. good thing the pot took all the shock
and yay, youre in luck and you live in kansas which is the perfect for chompy to live outside and he will most definitely do alot better outside. research alot and ask questions, happy growings :D
By DesertPat
Welcome to the forum! Like Mike said (Mike I think you know more about fly traps than you let on), fly traps will be a lot happier if left in one spot, specifically outside. You should work up to it gradually to avoid burning, but Chompy would be very happy to receive 8 hours of full sun a day, though 6 would suffice.

I would advise you to not water your plant so often, the roots need to get oxygen to be healthy. Let the soil become just barely damp before watering again. You should do your homework around here but I think this should get you started. Good luck!

Patrick

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By nancykarst
Thanks, guys!!!! So you think I should leave Chompy outside all the time, then? It won't get too hot for him? And then should I bring him in the house in like, October or something?
By DesertPat
I leave my plants outside in 100 degree weather. As long as the soil doesn't dry out and the roots don't overheat they do fine. Just gradually work the amount of direct light up over a week or so.

I don't know what your local weather is like in winter but fly traps do need a yearly dormancy. There are several good threads on the topic. Here is one of many. http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=36504

Patrick

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By nancykarst
Thank you, Patrick!! Our summers are very hot; around 100 degrees. Our winters are very cold from November to March (10 degrees to 45 or so)
By hackerberry
Welcome to the Forums Nancy!
Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!