FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Sukielol
I read up on sphagnum moss and how to grow it but I want to know how I would go about harvesting it. This way, I would save a great deal of money instead of having to buy more sphagnum moss. So does it grow outward like vines and I just cut it when it's too long and use that? Is there a special way of doing it? Or does it not work like that?
Sukielol liked this
By saltyop
I've never done it before personally although im trying to cultivate some right now
as for harvesting I think you can just cut how much you like, of course if grind it up or something it wont be happy but if you cut inches of it it will do just fine. take it with a grain of salt although I've never done it before, just guessing from what other people do :lol:
saltyop liked this
By Rammplins
It all depends on what you are using it for.
For top dressing/decoration I cut the head off and just place it right where I want it. the remaining strand will pick up right where it left off. just don't cut it too low or it will take ALOT longer for the strand to come back.
For potting
1. I grab a handful of moss
2. I cut the heads off of the strands I pulled out and place them right back in the hole I created
3. I use the remaining parts of the strand for potting after I dry it out a little bit.
4. whatever I didn't use gets minced and placed in-between the newly cut heads.

Sphagnum doesn't vine and has no roots per say, it stays in place by building on top of itself and growing in mats (dense thickets of the stuff so close together they hold each other up)

P.S. you can grind/mince it up and it will start a whole new mat of little mini heads. but it will take some time to get to a harvestable size.
Rammplins, Rammplins liked this

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!