FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Frothy_Milk
One of my bog pots are getting overcrowded with drosera capensis, and when dormancy kicks in for the temperate plants in the same pot, I want to be able to repot them without shocking them. They are seedling size right now, so by the time dormancy kicks in, the plants will be bigger. Any Tips?
By Shadowtski
Be a little careful of the roots. I repotted one today. A 1 - 2 inch tall plant can have a root 3 - 4 inches long.

To separate plants, get the most media off the roots as you can, then dunk them up and down until the remaining media comes free, allowing relatively easy root disentanglement.

After repotting, cover the pot with a clear plastic bag for about 2 weeks.

Good growing,
Mike
By uusa2000
I repot my plants all the time. Dig up around the plant, dont break away the dirt from plants rhizome & you dont want to expose the roots to the atmosphere. Basically keep the plant and rhizome in its dirt ball and plot in new pot with more prepared media.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
By Tarzanus
I usually just keep the plants from direct sun for a few weeks. If they seem OK after several days, I try getting them a bit more light. In a little while they usually respond to new soil and start growing furiously.

Like people mentioned before me, make sure you don't disturb roots too much. If the roots do get disturbed, cover it to increase humidity and keep away from strong light. Then after a couple of weeks, gradually start giving it normal conditions so it can adapt. Good luck!
By Shadowtski
Benurmanii wrote:You could stomp on a capensis while repotting and it would be fine.
You're right but seedling sized capensis might be somewhat slightly damaged if he uses hob-nailed boots and jumps and down on them repeatedly.

:)

Good growing,
Mike
By Fishman
It may just be me that does this, but rest assured back in the day I was super careful with them. I have so many different capensis varieties that I have plenty to spare and im not too worried about a loss. I just pull them out of the pots, shake off the excess soil, rinse (with RO of course) and toss them back into the medium of my choosing. Note that I do NOT encourage anyone to be rough with their plants! I have a huge overstock of these in particular so im not as careful as I used to be. I'm quick and non-gentle about the repotting process. I will say in doing it that way that i've rarely lost one. In fact I'm not sure i ever have tbqh. Now I do have other species that i treat like fragile eggs and sometimes I get scared to even breathe near them lol.
Not what you would expect...

But, of course. It’s always good to have one[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Ah, an Xtreem "purpurea". My favorite nu[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

This was pulled out of dormancy last week. I did n[…]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

I believe you're right, there appears to be some s[…]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!