FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Hungry Plants
I just have a quick question. I'm thinking about switching to LED but I'm confused about the wats . When they say 300w is that ashiwel or is equivalent? I look into the old post and couldn't find the answer .
By Raistlarn
It depends on what they have light source regulated too. Some company's rate the wattage at what the lights take, while others just state what wattage the lights should be able to take. An example would be my diy lights. I could rate the lights at 300 watts (their potential), but I have my lights regulated to ~50 watts. Usually it will state what equivalent the lights are separately from the wattage of the lights.
By nimbulan
Many LED plant light fixtures advertise the maximum power rating of the LEDs they use, not the actual power output. As Mike brought up, the popular Mars Hydro "300w" fixture has 100x 3W LEDs, but only draws about 130W from the wall. This includes efficiency losses from the driver (2 drivers in this case I believe) and the cooling fans, so realistically the LEDs are being driven at no more than 110W.

Comparing that to other types of lights is difficult, since most lights advertise lumens and that scale can't be used to properly measure the red/blue light of these fixtures. However based on power usage, the cost of these fixtures, and what I know about LED power efficiency, I would estimate this type of fixture produces the equivalent of about 15,000 lumens (possibly as much as 20,000, similar to a 4x4' T5HO fixture.)
By Hungry Plants
Thank you. That clears up quite a lot for me. Love this place!

Good growing :D
FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!