FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By DesertPat
I've been doing a lot of digging around lately online and on the forums lately about foliar feeding Dionaea and I think I'm going to start dabbling in that realm next season, maybe play around with spraying vs applying with a q-tip.

So far I've seen lots of mention of using Maxsea or Epiphytes Delight for this. However, I haven't seen any mention of -gasp I'm gonna say a bad word - using Miracle-gro fertilizer for this purpose. I have a bag laying around and wonder if it is acceptable to use in this fashion. Are there any learned growers out there who are knowledgeable in this area and could give me some tips? Thanks everyone.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Shadowtski
hobbit1313 wrote:I've been doing a lot of digging around lately online and on the forums lately about foliar feeding Dionaea and I think I'm going to start dabbling in that realm next season, maybe play around with spraying vs applying with a q-tip.

So far I've seen lots of mention of using Maxsea or Epiphytes Delight for this. However, I haven't seen any mention of -gasp I'm gonna say a bad word - using Miracle-gro fertilizer for this purpose. I have a bag laying around and wonder if it is acceptable to use in this fashion. Are there any learned growers out there who are knowledgeable in this area and could give me some tips? Thanks everyone.

Try an experiment.
Take 3 identical rescue typical flytraps.
Treat them identically in water, potting, and lighting.
Qtip one w/ miracle gro, one with MaxSea, one with nothing.
Record your work, your results , and let us know what you find.

Good growing,
Mike
By DesertPat
Shadowtski wrote:
hobbit1313 wrote:I've been doing a lot of digging around lately online and on the forums lately about foliar feeding Dionaea and I think I'm going to start dabbling in that realm next season, maybe play around with spraying vs applying with a q-tip.

Try an experiment.
Take 3 identical rescue typical flytraps.
Treat them identically in water, potting, and lighting.
Qtip one w/ miracle gro, one with MaxSea, one with nothing.
Record your work, your results , and let us know what you find.

Good growing,
Mike
I'll plan to do that Mike. I've got 3 identical typical from division, they're slightly different sizes but I'm sure they'll do. I want to wait until next season as they're coming out of dormancy, I suspect that will be the best time to observe differences in growth.

By hackerberry
Tried the q tip with any fertilizer and it worked for me.
By DesertPat
hackerberry wrote:Tried the q tip with any fertilizer and it worked for me.
Hackerberry what dilution have you used. I've seen 1/4 recommended strength with most fertilizers and I think 1/2 on one or two. I'll experiment with strength and frequency but do you have any specifics? I've found information about this to be sparse and difficult to find (maybe for the better, huh?).

Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!