FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By JeffreytheVFT
So i recently repotted Jeffrey (my VFT) and he sprouted up over like a week! He must like his extra room. Anyways, during his growth spurt, 2 weird bud looking things also popped up out of no where. I thought it was a flower stalk thing but I thought VFT only grew those 1 at a time and Jeffrey has 2. Can anyone help me identify what these 2 things are?
And if I'm dumb and they can grow 2 flower stalks and that is what these are, can I cut them off? and if so, how would I go about doing that- how far do I cut down the stem?

Thank you!! :)
Attachments:
IMG_0663.JPG
IMG_0663.JPG (445.63 KiB) Viewed 2265 times
IMG_0665.JPG
IMG_0665.JPG (542.3 KiB) Viewed 2265 times
IMG_0667.JPG
IMG_0667.JPG (65.08 KiB) Viewed 2265 times
IMG_0661.JPG
IMG_0661.JPG (558.4 KiB) Viewed 2265 times
IMG_0660.JPG
IMG_0660.JPG (515.79 KiB) Viewed 2265 times
IMG_0662.JPG
IMG_0662.JPG (436.92 KiB) Viewed 2265 times
By alanmota2004
JeffreytheVFT wrote:So i recently repotted Jeffrey (my VFT) and he sprouted up over like a week! He must like his extra room. Anyways, during his growth spurt, 2 weird bud looking things also popped up out of no where. I thought it was a flower stalk thing but I thought VFT only grew those 1 at a time and Jeffrey has 2. Can anyone help me identify what these 2 things are?
And if I'm dumb and they can grow 2 flower stalks and that is what these are, can I cut them off? and if so, how would I go about doing that- how far do I cut down the stem?

Well congratulations your Now the proud father of a bunch of vft babies! Image(BTW its a flower bud that gives seed)

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
By DesertPat
Those are indeed flower stalks, and the presence of 2 means Jeffrey has divided at the rhizome. I seem to recall reading that sometimes when a plant is stressed from something like repotting they sometimes do send up spikes. I'm no expert on this though, so you should get a second opinion...and third, but I would cut the flower stalks off if it were my plant in this situation. You want to go in with a pair of sharp scissors and cut the spike fairly close to the base- about 1cm. Do your research, but you can propagate more plants from those cuttings. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
DesertPat liked this
By saltyop
ayyy if youre lucky you can get 2 plants out of jeff from those stem cuttings. I do feel like jeff there needs more sunlight although. is he a green variety?
By JeffreytheVFT
Branmuffin wrote:Deffinately try and find a sunnier place for your plant, do you grown indoors?
I grow him outdoors, so he should be getting enough sun but he is also under a big tree so maybe its too shady? this picture was taken at night, I just brought him inside for a second to get a decent picture to make sure I got a clear picture of the things growing from him. Does he look sun-deprived or did you just see the darkness in the background of the picture? Thanks!
By JeffreytheVFT
hobbit1313 wrote:Those are indeed flower stalks, and the presence of 2 means Jeffrey has divided at the rhizome. I seem to recall reading that sometimes when a plant is stressed from something like repotting they sometimes do send up spikes. I'm no expert on this though, so you should get a second opinion...and third, but I would cut the flower stalks off if it were my plant in this situation. You want to go in with a pair of sharp scissors and cut the spike fairly close to the base- about 1cm. Do your research, but you can propagate more plants from those cuttings. Good luck!

thank you!! question, I know you said you weren't an expert but you seem more knowledgeable when it comes to VFT, at least more than me since Ive only been a VFT parent for about 2 months, but you said that means he has "divided at the rhizome"... isss that a bad thing? I saw somewhere that someone said that happened to their plant so they separated them and potted them separately, is that really necessary?

thanks! :)
By JeffreytheVFT
saltyop wrote:ayyy if youre lucky you can get 2 plants out of jeff from those stem cuttings. I do feel like jeff there needs more sunlight although. is he a green variety?

Ummmm I honestly have no idea what variety he is haha. I bought him about 2 months ago from my local grocery store because he was on sell because they were about to die. Guess they weren't properly caring for them. So i brought him home and brought him back to life and now trying to get a handle on the in's and out's for VFT parenting haha. So question, you say he needs more light, do you assume that because he looks as though he's sun deprived or from the dark background of the picture? I grow him outside but he stays under a large tree so he might be in the shade too much if he looks sun deprived. But if it just from the dark background of the pic, I brought him inside for a second because it was night time when I noticed the 2 flower stems growing from him but I wanted to get a clear picture so I brought him inside to take the picture to have light.
JeffreytheVFT liked this
By saltyop
ayy jeff's owner, its cause the coloration of the plant isnt that great. im still a newbie but a healty flytrap would sport a red coloration on the inside of thier traps, indicating it recives alot of sunlight. flytraps love the sun so put it in as much direct sunlight as possible, just acclimate it slowley if it isnt hardened off yet. Its sending flower stalks so you arnt killing him but more sunlight = better flytraps :D
By DesertPat
JeffreytheVFT wrote:
hobbit1313 wrote:Those are indeed flower stalks, and the presence of 2 means Jeffrey has divided at the rhizome. I seem to recall reading that sometimes when a plant is stressed from something like repotting they sometimes do send up spikes. I'm no expert on this though, so you should get a second opinion...and third, but I would cut the flower stalks off if it were my plant in this situation. You want to go in with a pair of sharp scissors and cut the spike fairly close to the base- about 1cm. Do your research, but you can propagate more plants from those cuttings. Good luck!

thank you!! question, I know you said you weren't an expert but you seem more knowledgeable when it comes to VFT, at least more than me since Ive only been a VFT parent for about 2 months, but you said that means he has "divided at the rhizome"... isss that a bad thing? I saw somewhere that someone said that happened to their plant so they separated them and potted them separately, is that really necessary?

thanks! :)
Plants which grow from rhizomes will split off to form new plants when they are growing well, so it is not a bad thing at all. Rhizome divisions offer a quick and easy way to obtain more plants very easily. As far as separating the divisions, it is not strictly necessary until the plants become crowded. Plants look better in my opinion when there are multiple growth points together, as do most people I think. You can separate them next season when you repot if you wish or leave them together, it's up to you.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You might want to try searching for online plant s[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!