FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By pika51011
Please help my pinguicula moranensis leaves are turning white! I just got it resently and I don't know what to do! I grow it in a sheet moss, sand mixture because I don't have access to peat and perlite. I use bottle water and this is my first butterwort so I have no idea. I tried to find info but all I found was stuff on browning leaves. Please help.
Attachments:
IMG_3354.JPG
IMG_3354.JPG (1.05 MiB) Viewed 4178 times
By Shadowtski
What type of bottled water are you using?
Carnivorous plants need very pure water. Distilled water, rain water, or reverse osmosis water are the only types to use safely. Most bottled water contains minerals toxic to CP.

Also what type of moss is that sheet moss?
Sphagnum moss or peat moss are safe. Many others are toxic.

Some growers use an inert mineral media to grow their Mexican Pings. I use a 40/40/20 perlite/sand/peat mix, myself.

That coloration does not look good but I'm not a Ping expert so I'll bow out here and let someone else pop in with a suggestion.

Anyways, welcome to the forum and I hope you can find an answer here.

Good growing,
Mike
By samlikesplants
If you are using bottled water that is meant for drinking, then that will almost definitely kill the plant. What makes drinking water taste good is lots of minerals, but what carnivorous plants need is very little to no minerals. I would switch to rainwater, distilled, reverse osmosis, or anything with a ppm of less than 100. I water all my butterworts with rainwater and they are extremely happy. Unfortunate that you don't have access to peat or perlite as that is what everyone uses, but if you can you could order them online and have bags shipped to your house. Just make sure to leave your plants on a sunny windowsill sitting in a tray of water with very low minerals and you should be fine.
By pika51011
Thanks to everyone so far. I did think of the water and made sure it doesn't have minerals added. This is the water that I've been using on my pitchers and Venus fly trap. I read somewhere (finally) that it might be sun damage. I did bring it outside almost immediately with no time to adjust so what's your opinion on this. I have brought them inside and am hoping that helps.
By Shadowtski
I have a couple Mexican/Central American Pings, including moranensis. They are not my prime interest in CPs.

I grow mine indoors under lights. (16 - 18 inches away from MarsHydro 300 LEDs) I've heard they can act like fussy Prima Donnas outside.

If you want to grow yours outside, I'd suggest you put it on the North side of your house. (Assuming you live in the Northern hemisphere.) This will give them morning sun and evening sun, which is less likely to cook your leaves. The rest of the day they're in open shade getting light but not direct, cooking, noontime sun.

That's my 2 cents worth. Take it with a grain of salt. I'm a Drosera guy, not a Ping person.

Good growing,
Mike
By samlikesplants
I'm not sure where you live, but for me, I've expiremented various times with butterworts outside, and every time, they tend to nearly die. I live in hot, dry, sunny, Northern California though. Mine has been on a sunny windowsill for a year and has tripled in size.
By slinx
To me it just looks like your plant got severely burned from the sudden change in conditions. The growing tip looks fine, so it should look like a nice plant again in a couple of weeks. You could pull it out of the soil for a minute (the roots are tiny, so don't worry about breaking them) to check if the roots didn't get burned as well, but I think it'll be okay.
Shadowtski wrote:What type of bottled water are you using?
Carnivorous plants need very pure water. Distilled water, rain water, or reverse osmosis water are the only types to use safely. Most bottled water contains minerals toxic to CP.
samlikesplants wrote:If you are using bottled water that is meant for drinking, then that will almost definitely kill the plant. What makes drinking water taste good is lots of minerals, but what carnivorous plants need is very little to no minerals. I would switch to rainwater, distilled, reverse osmosis, or anything with a ppm of less than 100.
Mexican Pinguicula aren't part of the 'most carnivorous plants' group, and couldn't care less which water they get, as long as it isn't seawater. In fact, you even wrote "Some growers use an inert mineral media" - that should turn on a little lightbulb.
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!