FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By samlikesplants
Recently I've become very invested in the CP hobby. For years I have always just bought California Carnivore's ready made potting mixes for my plants, but that is kind of expensive and inconvenient. Does anyone know any very cheap places or websites where I can just buy huge bags of sphagnum moss, peat moss, perlite, and others?
By nimbulan
Buy LFS on eBay (search for "Spagmoss" or "New Zealand sphagnum,") or if you're lucky and have a local orchid shop, they might have a decent price. Peat and perlite can be obtained cheaply at local garden centers or home improvement stores.

Sand is another matter. Depending on where you live it can be very easy or just about impossible to find sand that's coarser than glorified dust. It took me a long time but I finally found some at a local abrasives (sand blasting) supply company. Some people have access to local quarries and supposedly on the east coast there are coarser grades of pool filter sand than we get here.
nimbulan liked this
My sundew isn’t eating!

Now comes the hard part...patience!!! :lol: They[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!