FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Sukielol
Sorry if this question was already answered or sounds dumb but Is it possible to mix sphagnum moss and peat moss together in any way?

I read several pages about whether to get peat moss or sphagnum moss. All of which lead to personal choice. From what I have read, one has the ability to contain water longer while the other has more areiation. Of course, I may just be misunderstanding what people are saying but this is what I presumed they meant.
Thanks!
By steve booth
Hi sukielol

Your synopsis is basicaly correct.

You can mix them together if you wish without any detriment at all, but what you find, if your moss is live and given proper conditions, is that it will start to grow and soon fill the top of your pot. Again not a problem if you are growing large plants, but seedlings may get lost in there.

Peat and perlite is fine if youhave some, or pure peat if it is the 'chunkier' sort, the more powdery it is the less air exchange especially when saturated. If you have dried Sphagnum then cut that into chunks and mix with the peat.

Cheers
Steve
steve booth liked this
Drosera germination time

I know I got the "Redrum" seeds from th[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!