FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Shadowtski
Raistlarn wrote:So I was wondering why the sites recommend people destroy the seed. I understand that you can't call any plants that germinate California Sunset. So is there any other reasons why?
I'm guessing here, but I think the seed of 'California Sunset' X self would produce a series of plants that fill the whole spectrum between D. filiformis and D. tracyii.

This could easily lead to identification confusion and the original cultivar clone could get lost in the shuffle.

That's my two cents worth.

Anybody have a better guess?

Good growing,
Mike
By Hungry Plants
Raistlarn wrote:Hmm. I know I'm keeping the seeds I get from mine. I almost have 1/2 ml of seed from 3 plants.
If Mick is correct keeping the seed isn't the issue. Its if you ever decide to sell any of them or the plants you would get fum them. They would look like the mother plant however they wouldn't be 100% true to the mother plant. Eventually there could be enough of the not true plant out there you would have an imposable time telly the falls from the pure. I'm sure it's already been dun so adding to it wouldn't help the problem.
By Raistlarn
Looking it up further I'm not worried about if I were to sell them in the future, because according to the ICPS there are other hybrids between D. filiformis and D. tracyi. Yet I won't sell them, because I want to cross them with the filiformis Florida red version and see what I get.
What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!