FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Shadowtski
A couple of Drosera species are flowering for me for the first time. At least they're sending up flower scapes. It's always a good feeling when a species flowers for you the first time.

The first one is Drosera venusta. It's a South African rosetted Sundew. It is recognizable by the way the active leaves are reaching for the sky to pull bugs down but the older leaves lay flat like D. aliciae.

The second one is a pot full of Drosera admirabilis "Floating". This is another South African rosetted species. This group of plants came from Hollyhock. It was a Giveaway prize I won last year. (Thank You Again!)

Good growing,
Mike
Drosera venusta
Drosera venusta
DSC07426.JPG (994.91 KiB) Viewed 2380 times
Drosera admirabilis "Floating"
Drosera admirabilis "Floating"
DSC07427.JPG (1.47 MiB) Viewed 2380 times
Shadowtski, Shadowtski liked this
By Shadowtski
Hungry Plants wrote:Very cool Mike. Do the flowers only last 24hrs like on pygmy sundews?
Neither of these has flowered for me before, but I think so.
In my experience, Sundews open one flower a day. Most open and close in a matter of one or two hours. Many never open all the way, makes photographing them a challenge.
The longest opening flower I have seen was Drosera capensis "Bain's Kloof". That flower was open 8 - 12 hours.

Good growing,
Mike
By Sakaaaaa
Very kool sundews. I REALLY need to get fresh ready-to use sphag for sowing. Will seeds die immediately when normal PPM water touches them? Because some orchid water seeped out and got into my pots. Luckily, the plants survived, but I am not sure on the seeds. Should I give up on the seed pot or will the seeds survive?
By Sakaaaaa
Shadowtski wrote:High PPM water usually kills plants slowly through mineral buildup in the soil. A little on the seeds shouldn't hurt. If you're worried, rinse them with rain water a couple times.

Good growing,
Mike
Ah, that's relieving. I flushed all my stuff after the incident and moved my orchids to the weird anvil thingy I have on my porch along with all the normal plants.
By Earthy
If Venusta are selfing, would I be able to buy some seeds from you? Mine finally kicked the bucket :cry:
By Shadowtski
Earthy wrote:If Venusta are selfing, would I be able to buy some seeds from you? Mine finally kicked the bucket :cry:
Let's see how much if any they produce.
PM me in a month or so.
An alternate thought is if you have any interesting Drosera, we could do a leaf cutting swap.

Good growing,
Mike
By Tryner78
Shadowtski wrote: Many never open all the way, makes photographing them a challenge.
This might be happening with my Tokaiensis, since it is not opening them all the way. If I get seeds though, I'll probably be sending them to the FTC seed bank.
Tryner78 liked this
By Shadowtski
Here's a follow up to my original post.

Drosera venusta crashed and burned.
I suspect the lights were too strong for it where I had it sitting.
I rescued the plant but the flower stalk was a loss.
I put the plant under a different light.
I hope to see another flower scape next year.

On the other hand, Drosera admirabilis "Floating" produced numerous flower stalks and a good quantity of seed.
I sent some as a bonus giveaway prize.
The remainder will go into the FTC Community Seed Bank as soon as I get off my butt and package them up.

Good growing,
Mike
Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!