FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By samlikesplants
So I have a large pingiucula moransis, a laueana, an emarginata and a few randoms, that are extremely easy to grow and do splendid on my sunny windowsills with tray method watering and maxsea every month. Recently I've seen lots of growers online planting them on rocks, and was wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions on how to go about doing that? I'd love to try it but I haven't the slightest clue of where to begin as there really aren't any tutorials for this online. Thanks in advance.
By Bob Beer
I started with it just recently. I'd planted a hollowed-out pumice planter in my normal Ping planting medium but after several months of moisture moss began growing on the outside. So I put some cyclosecta pullings on. The first time it didn't work, but now that the moss has gotten a little denser, they seem to be taking. More recently I also stuck a pulling of hemiepiphytica and it looks like it's budding now, so we'll see how it works!ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bob Beer liked this
By Bob Beer
samlikesplants wrote:Wow that looks amazing!
Try it! Just make sure it's pumice and not the red or black lava rock, which looks spongy but doesn't wick the water as well. Maybe a good growth of moss would do it, if you could get it to form by regular spraying, but pumice is just so easy.

By Bob Beer
Tray system. The pumice wicks up the water. I've seen people place a chunk of pumice in a planter too, to have plants growing in substrate as well as on the mossy rock.

By heywhathuh
Hey, I just recently took a few photos of my pings growing on rocks if you'd like to see, feel free to ask any questions.

General tips include starting with small plants still attached to their parents leaves, using a drill to add new holes/enlarge natural holes, water via tray method only, use Sphagnum moss to wick water from the tray to the top of the rock (if needed,) water the rock/moss via tray for a day or two, and see how wet different spots get, plant pings accordingly.

Also I use a more water retentive mix in smaller holes (mostly peat, maybe 15% perlite and 15% vermiculite, but it varies) and I use the colored pins in place of plant tags :)
The main rock, top down view
The main rock, top down view
Photo Jul 30, 7 07 51 PM.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 7701 times
Smaller rocks, most of the plants are just fresh pullings at this point
Smaller rocks, most of the plants are just fresh pullings at this point
Photo Jul 30, 7 08 14 PM.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 7701 times
By xr280xr
Those are awesome setups guys! I was going to say, without any moss (or on non-pumice) I would think you'd need to have water trickling over it pretty regularly but it looks like there are better options. I might have to try this too!
By Bob Beer
Nice! What kind of rock? The pumice wicks really well, tephra almost not at all; getting ready to try lace rock now, which seems to wick very nicely.

By heywhathuh
Honestly not sure on the rock type, perhaps you can tell me haha, here is a link to the same product on Petcos website (although I bought it in person) https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostor ... -lava-rock

I asked the guy working there, but he had no clue haha. I figured might as well try it, since it was cheap and all the plants I used I have plenty of backups of!

I can tell you it's certainly less moisture retentive than the for-sure piece of pumice I recently bought from a local aquarium supply store, it's also heavier.

Without the moss to wick moisture to the top, I doubt it would stay moist enough up there.
By heywhathuh
Thanks for the ID, it's good to know!

The whole experiment is only about 4 months old at this point, I'll be sure to update in a few months with my success or failure.

Knowing that it's not an ideal rock choice makes me feel good about my decision not to put the P. gypsicola I got recently on there!

I also think it's worth mentioning that out of all the different pings on there, the moctezumaes seem to like it the best, definitely happier than their siblings in peat/perlite right now.

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!