FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Raistlarn
I posted this on terraforums, but I decided to ask this question here as well. live in zone 9a so my winters get to 20°F for a few days at a time, but it usually stays ~30°F for multiple days at a time. If I'm lucky it will warm up to 50°F. I'm thinking of buying a 6x8 greenhouse from harbor freight, because my highland Nepenthes collection is getting out of hand. I believe the greenhouse uses double wall polycarbonate panels. So what I want to do is winterize it so I don't have to spend a fortune in gas/electricity to heat it over the winter. If anything I want most if not all the heat to be provided by the sun.

So I had a few things I was wondering about. I heard some people use bubble wrap as insulation. Does multiple layers offer more insulation than a single layer? Could I also combine mylar emergency blankets with multiple layers of bubble wrap to provide even more insulation?

I plan to keep highland Nepenthes, Heliamphora, Brocchiana, and any other carnivorous plants that would survive highland conditions.
By Hungry Plants
Yes bubble wrap works(though i don't know what kinde). Two layers would cut down on even more light than just the one. Are the blankets the one that look like tinfoil? If so they would probably block all light. After you insulate you would have to test it to see how cold it gets. If it still get to low you may have to supplement with a heater. They have plug in thermostats you can use to set temp so it's not running all the time. You will want a fan in there for air movement.

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!