FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Fly Trap Hunter
I've been collecting rain water all Summer for the fly traps. Some water is obviously green and I'm not using that. But I have another bucket that I use but it's starting to look dirty from bug debris and guess just stagnation. It gets rain water almost every day. The only reason I havn't dumped it cause it seems water is stagnant in bogs anyway. And it's just looking cloudy.

Maybe I need to dump it and clean it with some bleach, rinse well and start over?
By Fly Trap Hunter
Thanks. I guess I need to buy a water tester. Yea, of the vfts I've seen on ftc site, the ones with rain water look the healthiest. It would be interesting to know how much nitrogen is in rain water from lightening
By Fly Trap Hunter
I'm looking into buying a water tester for ppm. Thank you. The water is ok. We will get rain in a few days and I can dump it and start over. I've had rain water in that same 10 gallon bucket for a month. I just didn't want to switch water while they are so happy now.
By riveraXVX
taking the advice of another user here (IE: stealing what he does to also use haha) I use an under bed storage bin I bought just for the purpose let it pour for a few minutes to wash a bit off our carport then collect from the dripline can fill a few gallons pretty quick with a heavy rain using my old distilled water jugs cap em and keep em in the shade
By Fly Trap Hunter
I think water can go bad too, even in plastic jugs. anyway, birds were having a bath in the water today so I'm tossing it and hope for rain. I have another water barrel but gonna rain tonight.
By Fishkeeper
Water can't "go bad", it's water. Algae and contaminants can get into it, or the container can leach materials into it, but a properly sealed container of clean water can't spoil.
By marsvenus
i use rain water that has algae (green) in it and have stored it for several months and my plants love it. Understand that i got it fresh from gathering it not sitting somewhere!
marsvenus liked this
By tommyr
If the TDS is still real low it's most like good. Where I am rain water is typical 2 ppm give or take 1.

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!