FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By riveraXVX
I use a $20 meter on amazon I also collect from my roof dripline --- I usually let it rain heavy for a few minutes to wash a little gunk off, then I filter the water through an old nylon coffee pot filter, into funnel to bottles

but I test it usually each time I fill up.
By Big-Jack
riveraXVX wrote:I use a $20 meter on amazon I also collect from my roof dripline --- I usually let it rain heavy for a few minutes to wash a little gunk off, then I filter the water through an old nylon coffee pot filter, into funnel to bottles

but I test it usually each time I fill up.
Good advice. You want to let the roof rinse off for a while to flush away all the bird crap, leaves, asphalt oils, and itsy bitsy spiders ;) before you start collecting water for your VFT's.
By riveraXVX
yep, another user here (thanks Leo756!) detailed a bit of how he collects rainwater and that nylon filter was a great idea also! asked the wife and sure enough she had a few random ones from random machines over the years that weren't even used, helps filter a good bit of the random materials our water ends up testing out at 2-5PPM usually
By jackjeckel
I was just about to ask the same question as last night it rained and I had moved my collection bottles off of the lawn as I had just put down some fertilizer and bottle closest to the roof runoff bottle collected a whole lot more than the other one.

I just ordered a tester and will have to stick with distilled water until I can test the roof runoff.

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!