FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By HeliamphoraWalnut
Hello everyone, it's that time again! I'm coming back to the states in about 4 days, and usually, around this time, I make some additions to my collection. Now, I'm mostly interested in intermediate and highland Nepenthes, helis, and other rare(er) highland species. I've narrowed it down to either
Nepenthes mindanaoensis- has anyone been growing this species? I can't find too much info on it. Apparently it's a giant Alata
Nepenthes mira -I'm mainly interested in this one because I'm a sucker for tubby neps, and this one bears a resemblance to rajah, which is too expensive.
Nepenthes copelandii- cool upper pitchers, and I've heard it's an easy grower
Brochinna reducta -never had a carnivorous bromeliad!
Nepenthes glabrata- very nice looking pitchers, and grows small, but have heard it's very picky
Nepenthes rajah x mira- looks like rajah
Which ones would you guys say? Have any of you grown any of these plants? And if so, which one would you recommend, and for what reasons?
Edit: added plants
Last edited by HeliamphoraWalnut on Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By FLTropical
I'm growing a n. copelandii in way less than ideal conditions, and it's doing ok. It's coloring up early too. Plant seems to be made of Steel!
By Sakaaaaa
1 if each :D
But if I could pick, I would pick Brocchinia Reducta, because I don't have any sort of setup and my mom's a bit tired of neps. I would strap the brocchinia to a branch/log/rock if I could.
By Sakaaaaa
Can copelandii grow in LL/ULL conditions?? If so then I'm adding it to my wishlist!
By FLTropical
I had my copelandii outside last summer in ULL, and it did not like it. New leaves were rapid, but curled and smaller and smaller. Come fall, I'm more intermediate, and it did ok. When it started to warm up in January I moved it inside to a windowsill. It loves it there - leaf jump was huge, and it pitchers very well. I don't think it cares much about temp drop a night, but it does not like high temps above 80.
By Bluemoon
I had copelandii and mindanaoensis in lowland - ultralowland conditions and they did just fine. I only lost the copelandii due to a brief freeze, but it definitely did fine in cooler temps. I've heard the same about mindanaoensis but haven't tried it in HL conditions yet.
By davidbondy17
I grow 2 Nepenthes Rajah x mira, and 1 glabrata. Rajah x mira I grow in my highland intermediate setup with gets day time temps of around 75F and nighttime temps of around 60F. As for glabrata, it is an ultrahighland species of Nepenthes and requires a severe nighttime temperature drop into the low 50's to high 40's. I put a bag over it because it prefers slightly more humid conditions than most neps. I use a wine chiller, to get the nighttime drop for all of my ultrahighland Nepenthes (Rajah, Ephippiata, glabrata, inermis, attenboroughii, and Murudensis). Glabrata is definetly one of the most demanding Nepenthes, but if you are a patient grower, who can provide the correct conditions, I hear it can be extremely rewarding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By nimbulan
I've never heard anyone consider glabrata or ephippiata ultra-highland before. It's been my understanding that glabrata is mostly picky about humidity rather than temperatures and one particular nursery that only sells easy Neps carries glabrata so I can't imagine it's terribly difficult.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You might want to try searching for online plant s[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!