FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Barbara McNeill
I've just bought my first ever Venus flytrap but I'm worried that it doesn't have any direct sunlight. It's outside under our terrace and has plenty of light - all day as we face south. It's so hot here (30-38c in the shade) at the moment I daren't put it in the direct sun.
Should I leave it where it is or move it for some direct sun at the end of the day/beginning for an hour? Thanks for any advice.
By Fly Trap Hunter
just don't let them dry out. The posts that I have read say gradually add direct light, like an hour per day. I moved my from filtered light to direct sun and they have done fine. The biggest reason is the traps were wide open because they wanted more light. Also I figured since they were flowering, they'd enjoy more light. The older leaves have gotten burnt and are dying back but the sunshine has helped the new growth grow like mad. Check the dates. I just moved them into the sun last week and they get 5 hours direct light per day. I read that they can get direct light all day but only need 1 hour. I'm in Wilmington nc, home of the vft, and it's 95F here on average but we get thunderstorms and clouds. Just don't let them dry out. good luck http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/my-1s ... 35909.html
Fly Trap Hunter liked this
By Barbara McNeill
Thank you sooooo much! You've given me more information than I can find anywhere on the internet.
I've got it stood in a shallow dish of water which it happily soaked up most of it. Will make sure it's topped up and will 'introduce' it to the sun gradually. Thanks again.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!