FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Trippydippytrap
Went down to ace hardware and saw some sand not sure this is right ,so if anyone knows that would be grovey.
Attachments:
Silica sand?
Silica sand?
20170611_113844.jpg (889.31 KiB) Viewed 3381 times
By nimbulan
I don't believe it is, but some people do use that stuff. I personally find this type of sand to be too fine though. It also tends to be locally mined though so you can't be sure what's in it. With sand like this, people do a vinegar test - put some of the sand in vinegar and see if it fizzes: if it does then don't use it.
nimbulan liked this
By Trippydippytrap
nimbulan wrote:I don't believe it is, but some people do use that stuff. I personally find this type of sand to be too fine though. It also tends to be locally mined though so you can't be sure what's in it. With sand like this, people do a vinegar test - put some of the sand in vinegar and see if it fizzes: if it does then don't use it.
Thanks man. I tested it and it fizzed like Alka-Seltzer!
By nimbulan
Yep fizzing is an indication of the presence of free minerals that will dissolve in the water (especially since peat is acidic) and harm the plants. If you're having trouble locating silica sand, you can look for swimming pool supply stores (they use silica sand in water filters) or abrasive supply companies (sandblasting.) I have so much trouble finding silica sand here that I just use crushed glass - any inert material of appropriate size will work.
nimbulan liked this
By Branmuffin
Quartz sand = Silica Sand. This can be found at almost any hardware or building supply store.
By KategoricalKarnivore
Branmuffin wrote:Quartz sand = Silica Sand. This can be found at almost any hardware or building supply store.
It's not at any of those stores anywhere around me. I just use pool filter sand from the pool store.
By Branmuffin
Generally pool filter sand and the quartz and silica sand you will find at hardware stores is 40-60 grade. This is pretty fine grade sand for use with plants but can be used. It will tend to compact much easier than a larger particle. I think #12 is what most people prefer but it's nearly impossible to find.
By Hungry Plants
Go to your auto body supply store and get sandblasting sand . It comes in different courses. You may be tempted to get the black but don't do it. It's Aluminium oxide.
Hungry Plants liked this
By Branmuffin
Hungry Plants wrote:Go to your auto body supply store and get sandblasting sand . It comes in different courses. You may be tempted to get the black but don't do it. It's Aluminium oxide.
I have called around and everyone seem to be using glass bead, steel shot or some other alternative to silica sand for sandblasting purposes.
By evenwind
I hadn't heard of glass bead abrasives so I looked them up. From what I've read they look like they might be okay. Has anybody tried them in place of silica sand?
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!