FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By bluespydr
Hello, I just bought my venus flytrAP from Walmart yesterday and was wondering if, after reading some information, I can plant my fly trap outside in the ground and then dig it up and bring it in for the winter? I have acidic soil in my yard so that wouldn't be a problem, but I live in zone 6 so it gets to cold to leave it outside without taking other measures.
By edman007
Acidic soil in your yard isn't the problem, they need extremely nutrient poor soil, the kind of poor soil that makes grass struggle to grow, and kills all trees. Nutrients in the soil will burn their roots and kill them.

I highly doubt your house has soil that they need, it's far better to keep them in a pot. What often works through is planting them into a mini bog (big pot with no drain holes), and the whole thing can be planted outside. Then take your plants inside for the winter.
edman007 liked this
By uusa2000
Agreed with edman007, all the minerals in your soil is "hot", thus why its so acidic. And will desecrate it in days

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!