FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Fishkeeper
I have an empty 10-gallon aquarium that I think I'd like to make into something of a bog garden. Probably not with very many CPs, just an ultric or two, as I'd like to focus on other neat plants. Ideally, I'd like the sort of terrarium that you can just water every now and then and otherwise leave alone.

What sort of lighting would I need to grow things like liverworts, small ferns, mosses, ultrics, and other tiny bog plants, assuming it gets minimal natural light?

Any plant suggestions?
By Wikiwakawakawee
You should check out dendroboard, they have a ton of good info on terrariums/ vivariums. :)

I would make an Iwagumi styled setup with natural looking rocks, and instead of some sort of grass, let the Utricularia spread out and be the "Grass" :D

Kind of something like this: (Except not filled with water, just "Boggy" conditions ;) )

That's just me though, I like simple looking stuff :roll:

You could probably buy a Grow light from NEHERP along with the light fixture and it'll run you at around $30, but those LED grow lights (I have the jungle dawn 11 Watt on my vivarium, they also sell a "Value LED" version thats cheaper) grow plants very nicely!
http://www.neherpetoculture.com/bulbsvivvg
http://www.neherpetoculture.com/fixture ... crewinleds

Depending on what other plants you wanna grow in there, you might have to buy glass tops for the aquarium to keep the humidity up inside (Or wrap the top in clear syran wrap, although this is a little less pleasing to the eye :? ), but if you just wanna grow Utricularia in there with some other plants that don't require high humidty, you won't need it. :D
By KategoricalKarnivore
Here is my 15 gallon bog tank. In the soil it's got 6-7 different mosses, some sundews, utrics, one sarracenia and a pot of D. Adela a pot of P primuliflora and one pot of N alata. It has rocks on the bottom and a tube for draining/filling. The soil is 1/1 peat/perlite. The lighting is one t8 6500k aquarium hood light and one t5HO sunblaster. I usually drain and refill every 2-3 weeks. I spray It daily with a spray bottle.
Attachments:
IMG_3515.JPG
IMG_3515.JPG (440.59 KiB) Viewed 8273 times
IMG_3516.JPG
IMG_3516.JPG (691.16 KiB) Viewed 8273 times
By Aozora
this is my setup

im using 2x 10,5W (75W) Philips Led Daylight bulbs 1055Lumen each.

i mist them once every 3-4 days to keep them moist

(do not ask me why its turned upside down because i have absolutely no idea, but you can use (Crlt+Alt + arrow key down) to fix the picture :p)
By Fishkeeper
Okay, first, WHAT THE HECK. I didn't know computers could do that.

Second, how do you keep everything from getting all soggy and upset? Hidden false bottom? Especially loose soil?
By KategoricalKarnivore
[quote="Fishkeeper]

Second, how do you keep everything from getting all soggy and upset? Hidden false bottom? Especially loose soil?[/quote]
What do you mean by soggy and upset? I keep the water level in mine about a half inch to an inch below the top of the soil. So it's constantly soaking wet but it's not soggy. I guess I just packed in the soil enough to not be soggy.
By Adelaide
I think for the kind of plants you want to grow - bladderworts, ferns, mosses, small terrarium plants, (p. primuliflora and mini phalenopsis actually do really well as terrarium plants) etc., the cheapest and easiest way to go about it is to:

1) Lay 2" aquarium gravel in the bottom
2) Spread fiberglass screening over gravel (skip if dont want dirt)
3) add soil mixture, contour to desired landscape (I like adding a piece of wood to create a shelf I can pile rocks,dirt, or bark behind to create a better draining section - also if you want mushrooms you need wood)
4) add moss and plants

Tips:
For a bog tank, leave top off or use screened top - bog plants don't need very humid like tropical builds (bromeliads, tillandsias) and open top allows for air flow.

You wont need to water often but ensure there is always standing water in the bottom - it will smell but I've never heard of a non smelly bog.

Get springtails! They keep anything from rotting.

Avoid large plants - get a fern species that stays small, many ferns get massive and will quickly outgrow a 10gal - huge fern is why I have to breakdown my tank.

This is a no soil set-up I had a while back. All the contouring was done with aquarium gravel and live sphagnum was placed on top. Any leaf pullings did amazingly well in here, it was my panacea.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
By Aozora
Fishkeeper wrote:Okay, first, WHAT THE HECK. I didn't know computers could do that.

Second, how do you keep everything from getting all soggy and upset? Hidden false bottom? Especially loose soil?
im using a bottom layer of hydrokorrels (no idea what they are called in english). i always top water so that the soil can get nice and moist and all the excess water will just drain away in the hydrokorrels and help increase the humidity.

im using a mixture of 50/50 peat/sand with a top dressing of sphagnum around the heliamphora and nepenthes.

but im planning on making it a heliamphora/nepenthes terrarium and get the drosera capensis out of there. (i'll be getting a heliamphora pulchella and nutans next month :D)
By PetroleumJunkie412
Picture of my 55 gallon ebb and flow nursery tank. I use it for cloning plants, keeping my bicalcarata happy, and killing D. Regia seedlings (joke). Temperature is controlled by an aquarium heater in the reservoir, lights are T8 6500k, two 90mm fans circulate air 24/7, and water kicks on 30 minutes at a time three days a week. Everyone seems pretty happy. Had a mold outbreak not too long ago, but neem oil took care of it pretty quickly. Lost a few D. Regia over it, but mine usually find any excuse they can to quit living.

Trust me, if you have the space and the cash, get on Craigslist and find a 29 or a 60 gallon for a setup. A used tank in good shape can be had for around a dollar a gallon. Barry Rice has a great article on his site about this.
DSC_0131.JPG
DSC_0131.JPG (570.23 KiB) Viewed 8140 times
By RyRyTS
Adelaide wrote:I think for the kind of plants you want to grow - bladderworts, ferns, mosses, small terrarium plants, (p. primuliflora and mini phalenopsis actually do really well as terrarium plants) etc., the cheapest and easiest way to go about it is to:

1) Lay 2" aquarium gravel in the bottom
2) Spread fiberglass screening over gravel (skip if dont want dirt)
3) add soil mixture, contour to desired landscape (I like adding a piece of wood to create a shelf I can pile rocks,dirt, or bark behind to create a better draining section - also if you want mushrooms you need wood)
4) add moss and plants

Tips:
For a bog tank, leave top off or use screened top - bog plants don't need very humid like tropical builds (bromeliads, tillandsias) and open top allows for air flow.

You wont need to water often but ensure there is always standing water in the bottom - it will smell but I've never heard of a non smelly bog.

Get springtails! They keep anything from rotting.

Avoid large plants - get a fern species that stays small, many ferns get massive and will quickly outgrow a 10gal - huge fern is why I have to breakdown my tank.

This is a no soil set-up I had a while back. All the contouring was done with aquarium gravel and live sphagnum was placed on top. Any leaf pullings did amazingly well in here, it was my panacea.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
thats a beautiful tank Image exactly what I want mine to end up like in the long run. Started with a mini tank. Now gone bigger! No doubt I'll have an even bigger one soon Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By ArowanaLover1902
Dang thats amazing. Those orchids especially look nice (you should add a ladyslipper orchid, those are my favorite, they look like a nepenthes in a way). It's a really impressive setup.

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!