FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By DTDream18
I picked up one small plant last fall at a Whole Foods supermarket here in New Jersey. The plant had 6 - 8 traps when i bought it. After replanting it this spring it's dividing like crazy ... and there are upwards of 50 small traps coming out of the plants.

But all of the traps are about 1/4 of the size of the traps when I bought it. The traps are maybe 1/4 of an inch maximum size, with new traps spring up almost every day ? I've never seen anything like this.

I love Giant trap VFT's ... but I have to admit this is turning into one of my favorites.
Attachments:
IMG_3404.JPG
IMG_3404.JPG (63.12 KiB) Viewed 3756 times
IMG_3403.JPG
IMG_3403.JPG (58.15 KiB) Viewed 3756 times
IMG_3402.JPG
IMG_3402.JPG (69.36 KiB) Viewed 3756 times
IMG_3401.JPG
IMG_3401.JPG (71.88 KiB) Viewed 3756 times
By riveraXVX
that is awesome for a year! this is my not completely educated guess but if you are clipped the flower stalk (assuming its flowering size) - it is putting all its extra energy into growing more, but instead of growing upwards and bigger its spreading (perhaps a side effect from not flowering to help divide itself its naturally....doing its thing?)

makes sense in my head, not sure if there is any science to that explanation though hah!

I imagine as those individual plantlets get bigger they will bulk up once they stop going side to side with more plants! nice looking lil container of flytraps!
By boarderlib
This is something a grower I respect told me, so take it for what you will. It coincides with what I've seen in my plants, so I buy it. It'll take a year for your plant to completely settle into your growing conditions. In this year it'll usually mostly divide itself. When the plant is clumped up, they won't produce as large of traps as it would if it was just the single plant with room to grow.

I gave the third largest division of my Bristletooth to my daughter this spring. Hers is potted all by itself. Currently hers has the largest traps out of all of the Bristletooths on my table.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By xr280xr
The ones I have from Whole Foods are from Rocket Farms and they seem to be a clone that just likes to divide a lot too.
By uusa2000
boarderlib wrote:This is something a grower I respect told me, so take it for what you will. It coincides with what I've seen in my plants, so I buy it. It'll take a year for your plant to completely settle into your growing conditions. In this year it'll usually mostly divide itself. When the plant is clumped up, they won't produce as large of traps as it would if it was just the single plant with room to grow.

I gave the third largest division of my Bristletooth to my daughter this spring. Hers is potted all by itself. Currently hers has the largest traps out of all of the Bristletooths on my table.

Will it keep growing more clumps if already clumped?

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
By boarderlib
uusa2000 wrote: Will it keep growing more clumps if already clumped?

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
Most definitely, if given good conditions. If I wouldn't have repotted my Megatraps last year I'm certain it would've split the pot because it divided so much.

By Fly Trap Hunter
pretty vft. Mine are sending out little babies like that too, dividing I guess. Very cool actually. I'm no export, but I believe it takes 2 to 3 years of growth from a seed for a vft to send out new growth like that.
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! […]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!