FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By thatonechick371
I went to the beach today (Half Moon Bay, CA) and passed a carnivorous plant store that i have been wanting to check out for ever. I decided to stop in today (its called Worlds Rare Plants if you want to see their website) and got this beautiful Dentate. I planned to come take a picture of one of the nice, big, red traps but go figure, it already caught a fly lol. You can tell from the remaining open trap though that it has some pretty color to it. Just wanted to share! Image

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
By HeliamphoraWalnut
Beautiful! It's small, but already showing nice shape of the traps!
If you're in the half moon Bay Area ever again, go check out half moon bay nursery. They don't specialize in rare plants, and at first glance they seem to be a standard garden center, but ask if they have any CPs. Last time, about 4 years ago, they had this huge container full of HUGE sarracenia that were at least 2.5 feet tall. I didn't buy any back then because I was dumb, but you guys can go check it out
By Fishkeeper
Really nice plant! Looks like it has a ton of divisions, too, you should be able to split that into several nice plants come next year.

Is it potted in just regular dirt? You might want to check that out.
By MrSleeves
That's a funny story. I used to drive by the same CP shop on highway 92 headed to half moon bay. Eventually I stopped there about 7 years ago or something and have been hooked ever since. The owners are great. They remember me every time I come in now which really isn't much more than once or twice a year. I wish I was a bit closer but I'm out in Livermore. Good luck to your new traps!!!
By thatonechick371
Thank you! They had King Henry's (i believe that was the name) but no divisions on any of the plants. I got the Dentate because this particular plant was the biggest and prettiest, and because it had so many divisions lol. Ill be going back soon. Im moving about 3 hours north in a few weeks so i have to make sure I make a trip before i leave.

No, its in peat and perlite not regular soil lol.

By thatonechick371
MrSleeves wrote:That's a funny story. I used to drive by the same CP shop on highway 92 headed to half moon bay. Eventually I stopped there about 7 years ago or something and have been hooked ever since. The owners are great. They remember me every time I come in now which really isn't much more than once or twice a year. I wish I was a bit closer but I'm out in Livermore. Good luck to your new traps!!!
Can you tell me if the plants that come from there generally adjust to full sun easily? Im afraid to put this one out in full sun with the others, fearing sunburn because of the greenhouse they were in. I gave it an hour today and then moved it to the shade.

Oh, and Hi from Tracy!! I go to the beach a lot haha.

By boarderlib
Generally when I'm acclimating greenhouse grown plants to full sun I start them around 6 or 7 hours of sun, then speckled shaded light the rest of the day. Once I see them growing I give them another hour of sun, then repeat as I see them actively start growing again with each step. It takes longer to acclimate this way, but you won't have to look at as much dead growth as if you just threw it out there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By thatonechick371
boarderlib wrote:Generally when I'm acclimating greenhouse grown plants to full sun I start them around 6 or 7 hours of sun, then speckled shaded light the rest of the day. Once I see them growing I give them another hour of sun, then repeat as I see them actively start growing again with each step. It takes longer to acclimate this way, but you won't have to look at as much dead growth as if you just threw it out there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Thanks for the tip!!

By uusa2000
Rocket farms plant I got, I put it right outside full sun and thats it... Nothing died back yet been two weeks

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!