FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Gheryk
Hello! Firt time posting here, I tried to look for a similar post but couldn't find it and after some research I couldn't get a straight answer.

I got my first Venus fly trap 2 days ago, it came in the same pot with what it looks like two diferent types of drossera ( red and white)
I've seen some people growing them in the same pot with not much of a problem, but I'm a bit concerned because the bases of the plants are really close to one another.

Will they grow fine together?

Is one of them gonna die eventually giving more space to the other?

Also, does this VFT looks healthy? I'm not too concern about this one because even tho none of the traps can close properly, it looks like some traps are already growing so it should be fine.
I just wanna know what you guys think.

Thanks a lot for reading this, I do really appreciate any advice you can give me.

From London with love.
Gheryk
Attachments:
VFT + Drossera
VFT + Drossera
image.jpeg (814.7 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
By boarderlib
You would need an ID on the drosera to know for sure whether long term growth together would be suitable. Unfortunately since they are so small a solid ID isn't really feasible yet. From my experience those are more than likely capensis seedlings, which are a subtropical drosera. The fly trap is a temperate plant and will need dormancy. If that's the case then they would fair better separated. Given good conditions in a couple months we'll be able to give you a more solid ID.

Now, I haven't actually put this to the test but I've read of some growers treating capensis more like a temperate plant. It'll die back to the root and start growing again once the weather is acceptable for it to do so.

Wait until they are a little bigger before you move them if that's what you decide to do.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Gheryk
Thanks! I'm pretty sure they are capensis as I have two larger ones and they look the same. I would leave it toghether for now.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!