FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Rammplins
Picked up a purpurea from a a home improvement store, i put him outside on my sphagnum raft, and im slowly acclimating him to sunlight. I know he probably needs a repot, the pot is not as deep as it should be, but the media looks good surpisingly. Can it wait a month or should I repot him asap? I also threw some live sphagnum around the crown to stave off any rot that might have been starting to form.

Tips and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

I cut up his container and am using it to hold up his shade and raise humidity a little while he acclimates.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
By Frothy_Milk
Repot it asap. That's what I do with most of my grocery store plants. Plants from good retailers that take care of their plants should wait to be repotted until dormancy. Repot it in peat perlite and maybe sphagnum purps like more moisture im pretty sure. All things in the savage garden book say that they grow in wet environments because they are also closer to the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By SundewWolf
I think that it can wait, a repot now is likely to shock it a bit and set it back especially since its acclimating. It likely won't kill it though so you probably could do whatever you want, just prepare the acclimation accordingly. Pure sphag is what I use since it can hold a good amount of water and at the same time does not compact as much as peat. Even with added perlite the LFS seems to stay "fresher". Anyways since I saw huge clumps of them in the wild growing on sphagnum pads in the bogs that's what I tried to replicate in my mini-bog.
By boarderlib
Do it now. Save three plant from being stressed twice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Rammplins
Yep, figured as much. How deep of a pot do these guys like? 8 inches sound good?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
By Fishkeeper
8 inches would work great.
By HeliamphoraWalnut
An 8" pot would work great. Also, make sure the pot is also wide enough to sustain the plants growth outward for at least a year. If the growth point gets all pressed up against the side of the pot, the pitchers become small and stunted.
My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!