FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Artchic528
Today I noticed quite a few ants in my flytrap container. Apparently some tiny species of black ant had set up their nest nearby. They were crawling into the traps to get to the nectar that the traps produce as a lure, and sometimes triggering the trap. However, they were too fast and small to be caught inside the traps, crawling through the teeth before the trap closed completely. I felt the plants were expending great amounts of unnecessary energy on them so I moved the container to another sunny area of my yard away from the nest. Was this a good move?
By cjpflaumer
If you want to, what I do is spray ortho bug spray on the legs of the tables my plants are on. No more ants. I mainly do that because it seemed like ants were gonna make a nest in my pots.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
By xr280xr
Sounds like a good move to me. It's unusual for the ants to regularly be big enough to trigger the traps but too small to be caught in my experience. I'd guess either your traps are a bit sluggish right now, or the trigger hair are extra sensitive.
By Big-Jack
I had the same problem. I keep my pots elevated (on a patio table) for this very reason. When on ground level the ants will trigger the traps constantly but are too small to get trapped.
Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!