FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By MrSleeves
This is my first ceph and have had it for about 5 months. It has been growing more and more pitchers that are bigger and bigger in size. I have always liked the look of them when they are red. Now Looking at the leafs and how red they are, I assume they are getting a good amount of light. My question is, shouldn't the pitchers be turning red as well or does that only happen on more mature pitchers? Thanks

ImageImage
By Bhart90
Very good question, I'm curious as well.

Full sun?
By MrSleeves
Under a 125w equivalent cfl which is 6500k and I think like 2300 lumens on 12-14 a day
By Branmuffin
i believe they will turn red if consistently given enough light. I have several that stay red if in direct light but they can take some time to turn red from green.
By erikHIplants
This is what I enjoy about cephs even though they are only a single species. They have interesting diversity. Here is a picture of mines when I first got it. None of the pitchers would emerge as green as it grew over the past 3 months (then again it is a 'Brewers red').

I have heard some people get better red coloration under a "full spectrum" LED type of light.
Attachments:
1.jpg
1.jpg (92.77 KiB) Viewed 2359 times
By xr280xr
I think it looks pretty cool all-green! Less common not to see any red. You might start seeing some red once it starts producing adult-form pitchers and/or once it starts experiencing cooler temperatures again.
By Nick
I use full-spectrum LED and get some good red coloration. However, I got my Cephs when the LED was new and burned the bejeezus out of them :eek:. Now that I am giving them more consistent conditions, they seem to be doing better.
By Nick
I am seeing that as well with my two. In addition, one came with mostly summer pitchers while the other was almost completely made up of winter leaves. It is fascinating watching them change over time.

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!