FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Fishkeeper
There's all kinds of water pitchers on the market that filter various amounts of stuff out of your drinking water. I know those can't take the water down to 0 TDS unless you start with really good water, but are there any that can at least put a drastic dent in TDS? I'm thinking of using one more for "regular" houseplants that are more tolerant of TDS but would still rather not have ultra-hard water used on them.
By nimbulan
Most drinking water filters are designed to only remove specific chemicals (like chlorine) and heavy metals (like lead.) They won't do anything about the calcium and other minerals that cause problems with CPs.

The is one brand, ZeroWater, which does remove the minerals as well but the filters do not last very long when filtering hard water and you're better off using an RO system or a countertop water distiller.
nimbulan liked this
By KategoricalKarnivore
I use the Zero water pitcher. My tap is about 225ppm and it filters it down to zero. And of course I use the heck out of the tds meter that came along with it. I usually just use the water for seed starting media. Nice and clean. I use rain water for everything else.
By Fishman
Interesting stuff in the link there. Never heard of the Mavea brand. I can vouch for Zerowater products as well, but the filters are very expensive over time if you are needing to use it on a daily basis for plants. I use mine for making coffee, tea , lemonade etc and theres nothing Ive had better than this filtration pitcher from Zerowater. There is a stamp on the inside of the lid that suggests changing out the filter when the tds reading is 006. If not, the drinks begin to taste horrible. Almost a metalic taste to it. That usually occurs in my house after it has filtered thru 25 gallons of my city water that usually is around 300-550ppm i guess it depends on how often they are treating the city water. On watering plants with it, i can only make the assumption that 006 ppm (although really bad tasting water) is still safe to water with. I pay $16 per filter about once a month for 25 gal of drinking water. Best perk of all, is the free tds meter they throw in with their products...I used to use it on cps until my collection blew up in size, then switched to a large RO system.
Attachments:
20170614_190341.jpg
20170614_190341.jpg (878.91 KiB) Viewed 6777 times
20170614_191653.jpg
20170614_191653.jpg (870.11 KiB) Viewed 6777 times
20170614_191706.jpg
20170614_191706.jpg (891.39 KiB) Viewed 6777 times
By Wikiwakawakawee
I've been using a ZeroWater pitcher for all my plants for about a year now since I have no other option, and it gets the job done. I've only changed the filter once though, so I guess it all depends on how much water you use.
By PitBulMom
I use a 30 cup ZeroWater, our Tap Water is horrid! I have a "PUR" filter on my kitchen tap, I filter the water first thru the PUR then thru the ZeroWater, my filter on it has lasted almost 3 months, and I will be ordering 4 filters next month so will be good for almost a year.
This morning, my TDS on the Zero was just at 40ppm, so I will still have time for my filters to arrive.
My plants all LOVE the water from the Zero! Lots better than running to the store every week. Our plumbing is so old that a plumber friend of ours said that I would have to replumb over half the house to put in an RO system. $40 + cost of filters right now is fine for me.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

Just a reminder for my fellow Atlantans out there.[…]

Here's the one seedling that I managed to get grow[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!