FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Miles
Hi all,

I just bought my first Nepenthes from a Home Depot-type store here in Japan. They were selling healthier plants for 4,000 yen (around $36 usd), but they had this struggling one for the princely sum of 300 yen (less than $3), so I thought I'd try and see if I can get it healthy again.

Quick, not so great imgur album of pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/Mg4mz - I'm happy to take more pictures upon request.

Any idea what cultivar this is? The tag just said "Nepenthes". I'm imagining it's a more common variety, given the kind of store it was in.

More importantly, what steps should I take to try and eventually get it healthy again?

Thanks!

By Sakaaaaa
Ok let's start with the cultivar.
I am not sure, but from the dead pitchers it might be Nepenthes "Lady Luck" or Nepenthes Sibuyanensis. Definitely not ventricosa. Both of those are semicommon. I could get some right now.

So now to the plant. It looks good with dried out pitchers and leaves. What are your temps (day and night average) and humidity? This is important.

My suggestion is to water it every day. Nepenthes do not like water running through their roots, but in my opinion this is just an urban legend. My nepenthes get lots of water and it runs through their roots every time. But it's your choice really. Also try giving it more sun(?)
Sakaaaaa liked this
By Miles
At the store, it was indoors under fluorescent lights (the kind of standard, big-box store type) with no natural light. I'm not sure what kind of temperatures it was getting there.

I'm planning to hang it indoors by a south-facing window with an overhang (so bright, indirect light). Outdoor temperatures here lately are around 25C during the day, and maybe around 16C at night, but indoors I'd say our house stays between 18-23?
Edit: Humidity is typically around 70%

Thanks!
By nimbulan
I'm going to agree it's probably a "Lady Luck" though it would be best to wait for new pitchers before trying to identify it.

As for the plant, it'll be fine. While the plant seems to have been either severely sunburned or underwatered, I don't see any growth point damage and the basal shoot looks perfectly healthy. Your household conditions sound perfect. I would start with a moderate amount of light and see how it does. If the plant seems reluctant to produce pitchers from new leaves or the pitchers are smaller or less colorful than they should be, give it more light.
Sakaaaaa wrote:My suggestion is to water it every day. Nepenthes do not like water running through their roots, but in my opinion this is just an urban legend. My nepenthes get lots of water and it runs through their roots every time. But it's your choice really. Also try giving it more sun(?)
I've never heard that before, just that Nepenthes don't like to be kept too wet. People usually talk about this because highlanders are more popular and readily available in the US and Europe, and highlanders are more sensitive about watering. Many lowland species actually grow in or near swampy areas and can tolerate much more.

Being as this is an easy hybrid, it's not going to be too picky about water. Just make sure the soil surface doesn't dry out and you should be fine.
nimbulan liked this
By Miles
Here are some slightly better pictures of the growth points(?). Do y'all still think they look alright? I'm a little concerned about the one in the first three pictures.

Also, is there anything obvious I should prune or leave alone?
Thanks again!

By Sakaaaaa
I never prune my nepenthes. Thise frowth points look fine and will grow. If you are getting 25C at day and 16C at night I suggest try growing intermediates. They're a bit low for lowlanders.

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!