FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Frothy_Milk
I really want to grow tropical Drosera, but can't supply them with a sunny windowsill, and have no idea what light to use if I can't grow them outside. Would I be able to just grow them in full to part sun outside? Humidity is around 50-70% right now, and temps are starting to warm up to the 80's for summer. Is this too harsh of an environment for tropical Drosera and African species?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Sakaaaaa
I can grow mine in the same conditions as utricularia and paphiopedilum on my porch. They dont absolutely need full sun, just that it's better.
By fattytuna
Your outside conditions sound perfect for a lot of the easier African and subtropical species of Drosera. Remember, plants don't grow on windowsills in nature. To name a few, species like D. spatulata, binata, burmannii, and most of the easily obtainable subtropical africans should thrive. I'm not sure of your location but i'd be more worried about the cold winter if that's applicable.
By Frothy_Milk
fattytuna wrote:Your outside conditions sound perfect for a lot of the easier African and subtropical species of Drosera. Remember, plants don't grow on windowsills in nature. To name a few, species like D. spatulata, binata, burmannii, and most of the easily obtainable subtropical africans should thrive. I'm not sure of your location but i'd be more worried about the cold winter if that's applicable.
Winter was the only issue. Might as well only grow inside year round if I have lights for winter. Winter is usually rainy and temps in the 50s-60s.

By erikHIplants
Tropical sundews are relatively easy to grow indoors as well. I have 2 $20 4ft T8 shop lights that mines have grown under. I use a mix of 3000k and 6500k bulbs. They aren't excessively hot and provide a decent amount of heat.
By Frothy_Milk
erikHIplants wrote:Tropical sundews are relatively easy to grow indoors as well. I have 2 $20 4ft T8 shop lights that mines have grown under. I use a mix of 3000k and 6500k bulbs. They aren't excessively hot and provide a decent amount of heat.
Do you know what the brand is and where you got it? I might be interested in getting that.

By erikHIplants
Frothy_Milk wrote:
erikHIplants wrote:Tropical sundews are relatively easy to grow indoors as well. I have 2 $20 4ft T8 shop lights that mines have grown under. I use a mix of 3000k and 6500k bulbs. They aren't excessively hot and provide a decent amount of heat.
Do you know what the brand is and where you got it? I might be interested in getting that.

Do you have a Home Depot near you?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lig ... /202052422

The price is up a little but this is it. The bulbs where i'm at come in a two pack for $7.

I have it running on a timer for 14 hours a day and its been working great for over 10 months.
By boarderlib
I live in Northeast Ohio, and grow my sundews outside from about April through November/December. They do great, after they adjust. This year they even faced a late frost, it stalled them but they are all bouncing right back. I even throw seedlings out there that don't even have true form carnivorous leaves yet, and they hit the ground running.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!