FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By AshsCaFT
Hello everyone,
I am new to owning a Venus Fly Trap. I just received mine 2 weeks ago. My Venus Fly Trap is a King Henry.
Hope I can get some advice and support on how to keep him a live.
Thank you everyone.
By anubis_weasel_mo
AshsCaFT wrote:Hello everyone,
I am new to owning a Venus Fly Trap. I just received mine 2 weeks ago. My Venus Fly Trap is a King Henry.
Thank you everyone.
Do you have a picture of it so we call can see it

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
By Dxtr
AshsCaFT wrote:Hello everyone,
Thank you everyone.
Welcome to the forum! I'm not sure how much you know about traps, but there are a few basic needs.

•Good potting (sphagnum, compost, sand)
•Good sunlight (3-4 hours direct, rest of the day in the sun)
•Good water (Below 50 ppm. De-ionised, distilled, reverse osmosis, and rainwater are all great.
•Watering it well (only when soil is no longer damp, it's healthier to water from the bottom, and only when needed.
•Winter dormancy (a couple of months minimum, needs to be kept in a cold environment)

Also, cut off any flowers you see it making, unless you plan on breeding your trap- flowers just suck tons of energy only for looks and pollination.

Aside from this, just ask any forumer or myself about needs. Take care of it well, and you'll have a flourishing and long living plant.
By boarderlib
Dxtr wrote: •Good sunlight (3-4 hours direct, rest of the day in the sun)
A little confusing on the wording here. Give it as much sun as you can. If it's a Home Depot/ garden center plant you'll want to slowly acclimate it to full sun. If you regularly get above 100 degrees F, you may want to consider some shade during the hottest part of the day.
Dxtr wrote: •Watering it well (only when soil is no longer damp, it's healthier to water from the bottom, and only when needed.
If grown indoors, yes. If grown outside not true. Rainfall, and top watering cleans the plant, and draws oxygen down into the soil for the roots.
Dxtr wrote:•Winter dormancy (a couple of months minimum, needs to be kept in a cold environment)
The temp is not a determining factor for dormancy. The start of dormancy is triggered by the shortening of the days. The temp plays a role when you get into endo-dormancy vs eco-dormancy.
Dxtr wrote:Also, cut off any flowers you see it making, unless you plan on breeding your trap- flowers just suck tons of energy only for looks and pollination.
If the plant is healthy there is no reason to not let it flower unless you don't want the seed. If it's unhealthy cut the stalk, but a healthy plant will not be bothered by flowering. It may stall, but it'll stall anyways when you whack a stalk off.

Welcome to the forum ashescaft! There's quite a few knowledgeable and generous growers here that are always willing to help. Best of luck with your new pet!Image

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
boarderlib liked this

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!