FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Hungry Plants
I have some D. Pulchella that is done flowering. I was just wondering when and how I should collect the seeds.
By Shadowtski
Never got flowers or seed from pulchella but here's some generic Drosera suggestions:

Wait until the seed pod dries up and cracks open. It will look Tulip shaped (to make a poor comparison). If you cut the stalk off before this, the seeds may not be ripe and mature yet. I've been guilty of rushing and ruining seeds several times.

Cut the whole flower stalk off as close to the plant as you can. Put it in a white paper envelope and let it sit for a week. Then take the cut end of the flower stalk between your thumb and forefinger and spin it.(with the seed pods still inside the envelope) This will send the seeds flying out of the seed pods and into the bottom of the envelope. Don't sneeze! The seeds will be smaller than the average dust speck.

Seal up your seed envelope. Label it with the species and date harvested, and store it in your refrigerator until you plant them.

Good growing,
Mike
By Hungry Plants
Thanks Mike.This is my first year with CP and these are my first plants I ever got. Im very excited to harvest thees and hopefully will have enuf to share.
By Sakaaaaa
Well, not to turn down the party but...
Pygmy drosera seeds are very hard to get and hard to germinate. Why dont you use gemmae?
By Hungry Plants
Sakaaaaa wrote:Well, not to turn down the party but...
Pygmy drosera seeds are very hard to get and hard to germinate. Why dont you use gemmae?

I didn't get any gemmae. How are they hard to get and germinate. All my plants are seed grown.
By erikHIplants
I usually just wait till the whole puchella flower pod browns and dries. I have multiple flowers that produce seed.

Edit: These almost always produce seed. However, germinating them is a different story.
Attachments:
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (542.38 KiB) Viewed 2126 times
By Hungry Plants
erikHIplants wrote:I usually just wait till the whole pulchella flower pod browns and dries. I have multiple flowers that produce seed.

Edit: These almost always produce seed. However, germinating them is a different story.

Why would I have not gotten gemmae this year? Are the too young?

Is that Utric in with you Pulchella?
By erikHIplants
Honestly, I have no idea. My puchella haven't produced gemmae for me ever. I've gotten only seed and have had them for almost a year now.

Yes I believe there is a lot of U. subulata in there with it. And some kind of star moss. Rather annoying actually.
By Hungry Plants
erikHIplants wrote:Honestly, I have no idea. My puchella haven't produced gemmae for me ever. I've gotten only seed and have had them for almost a year now.

Yes I believe there is a lot of U. subulata in there with it. And some kind of star moss. Rather annoying actually.
Well if you ever won't to thin out the subulata let me know.
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, I just wanted your thoughts on Dionaea m.[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!