FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Carnivorous_Corner06
Here in Texas, were I'm from at least, the temperature will get 105 some days. how can i keep a greenhouse cool? :?:
By ArowanaLover1902
Ok so this is one that took me forever to figure out, I've only done it small scale, there might be better ways and this way might not work. Ok so there are two things that you will want to look into:
1. Air Movement
- This one is pretty simple and easy, just get some fans going in there
2. Thermoelectric Cooling
- This is pretty complicated, you need to learn about peltier element coolers, thats where it gets crazy though, its so hard to find a good one, I just bought one off of ebay or amazon a few days ago, along with all the other parts necessary, this will cool my 29 gallon terrarium. How big is the greenhouse?
By Carnivorous_Corner06
not sure yet, but definitely smaller than 8x8 ft.
By ArowanaLover1902
How much are you willing to spend on it?
By Carnivorous_Corner06
1.) At the most, 600 dollars. 2.) the stuff in my signature.
By ArowanaLover1902
Ok then just buy a small air conditioner unit, that will work well, or you could buy several peltier coolers, but that would be a pain and you'd need a large fan to cool each one of them, they'd be working a lot and could overheat otherwise. Your nepenthes likely desires a nightime drop, your flytraps won't like that at all, they're very different plants to be honest.
By Carnivorous_Corner06
I know that, and even though your supposed to drop the nighttime temperature for highland neps, mine has adapted pretty well to growing along a flytrap in my bedroom under a florescent light without a drop in temp.
By cjpflaumer
Carnivorous_Corner06 wrote:I know that, and even though your supposed to drop the nighttime temperature for highland neps, mine has adapted pretty well to growing along a flytrap in my bedroom under a florescent light without a drop in temp.
Usually the effects of no night time temperature drop are long term and slow. You may not notice much for a while but they do need it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
By Hungry Plants
AC will suck the moisture out the air then your plants. Look into swamp coolers.
By ArowanaLover1902
Thats true, it would. A swamp cooler would definitely be your best bet for something that big. I don't have any experience with swamp coolers. I'm still thinking the VFTs won't appreciate the same climate as the nepenthes. You might want to separate the greenhouse or even have a terrarium for the nepenthes and other tropical plants.
My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!