FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Boarden
Hey guys I've had a Sarracenia I bought at a store for a few months now. It's been growing well so far but recently it started drying up all of a sudden and I'm not sure why, I haven't changed anything in the way of care. I water it every day and give it extra light.

Also I'm not sure which hybrid / species it is, It's heads are short, unlike the tall ones I mostly see on the forum. If anyone has any idea why it's drying up like this I'd be grateful. I really don't want it to die :(.

ImageImage
By deleted user
Please give us information on its conditions, such as type of water used, how often, how much sun daily, humidity, soil etc

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
By cjpflaumer
It looks like it didn't get enough water. Maybe you missed a day or it got too hot etc. Sarracenia need to be fairly wet they don't take drying well at all.

That looks like it's probably S x wrigleyana. I have seen them at home improvement stores.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
By Boarden
I might have missed one day, I don't remember, I'll water it plenty from now on. I use distilled water and I'm not sure about the soil, I didn't change the soil since I bought the plant. It also gets around 6 hours of sunlight in the morning and I also turn on a white light lightbulb in the afternoon.
By dr_donut
If it's drying up even if it's sitting in water, then it's getting too much light or there's a fungal infection.
By cjpflaumer
One day can be all it takes. You can leave that pot in probably an inch+ of water with no harm. The other cause as mentioned could be fungal or root rot. If it has no roots taking up water the pitchers will dry up like yours.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
By SundewWolf
looks like a pure S. psittacina to me.

First thing is first: where is it located? inside? outside? window? growlights?

You can flood the hell out of it outdoors in full sun (or if you have very good lights).

If it's indoors by a window/cheap lamp its probably rotting and needs to be free-draining and watered less often + needs better light.
By tommyr
These are not houseplants and need to be OUTSIDE in all day full Sun sitting in a shallow water tray until fall dormancy kicks in.
By amriko
hollyhock wrote:It looks like S."Scarlett Belle" . There's a lot of new growth that I see in the photo. If you can just get it outside into some sunshine and it will be happy.
I don't think it's scarlet bell, mine grow upwards more. I think it's Dixie lace

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!