FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By ArowanaLover1902
Nevermind, I just found and purchased a peltier element cooler (with heatsinks and fans) off of Amazon, its from China and will take a while, but if it works I'll be thrilled, my plants will love it and I'll finally have the perfect environment for them.
By Rammplins
Cool, it should work no problem. Peltiers are fairly easygoing, and with the fans going on both sides you shouldnt have anything to worry about other than adjusting your current for the right temp you want

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
By ArowanaLover1902
I want to bring my temperature down to 65 F full time when I get my cooler. Another change, I've put my fan on a cycle, it turns off and on between 1 and a half hour intervals, some of the plants closer to the fan are a little to dry for my liking. I can't wait for the cooler to get here, I'm going to set a nightime drop of 53 F and humidity of 95 instead of my normal 90. I think they will love it. Btw the anoles are doing great, the dominate one generally perches on the hanging orchid, which provides great shade for some of the nepenthes and has grown a lot larger, its stems are hanging down a bit though, I think that might be the anole laying on it all the time. All the nepenthes are doing great, my vogelli pitchers look awesome. I really want my Nepenthes B. to put out some nice fanged pitchers, but none yet.
By Rammplins
good idea with the cycling, I would have thought the humidity would have been enough to stop that, but shows what I know about neps. and after hearing about everyone mounting their orchids finally got around to doing mine, now looking at it I will probably for my other ones. Also how many and what color anoles do you have, and out of curiosity are you planning on trying to raise some from egg? I always thought raising reptiles would be a fun/difficult adventure.

P.S. can you post a new pic? I want to see how this tank is looking now
By ArowanaLover1902
I've been waiting for literally 2+ months for my denisflora x r.'s pitcher to fully form, it was super close to opening and, as I posted in my previous post, some of the the plants looked a little dry, ughhhhh ITS DEAD (not the whole plant, just the pitcher, its dried, I guess the plant abandoned it). I'm so bummed about it, it was one of my favorites. I've reacted to the mortality by upping the humidity and diagnosing what I think was the problem. The probe for humidity was towards the bottom whereas the humidity came out towards the top, the humid water would fall and rapidly trigger the off servo, I've swapped their position and moved the probe to another side of the tank. The fog now comes out of the bottom of the plants (it looks amazing). I want to improve tomorrow, but it's late and I don't have the stuff on me. I want to mount the probe in a better place though, and move the humidifier out of the corner and hopefully to the center, it doesn't distribute that well.
Concerning Anoles: well, there are currently two anoles, stumpy and lizard. Stumpy was the first one I caught, and as I and others had tried several other times, he lost part of his tail, he is the submissive one and hides most of the time. The other anole is dominate and generally chases Stumpy away, he's shedding today though. Normally he perches on the orchid. I'm not planning on breeding (they are both boys). They are both males, plus I have no idea on how to really breed them. I'm probably going to relocate or release them after the chiller gets here, I doubt they would appreciate the nightime drops. They're green anoles (they change to brown sometimes, but that's what they're called in stores.
Can't post any pics right now, the plants aren't looking their best because of the humidity thing, I think something else happened though, maybe someone messed with them, they're looking different. I know this humidity thing will fix them though.
By ArowanaLover1902
The plants are looking a lot better, I'll try to post a pic tonight. Also, on the chameleon: I've obtained all the plants I need and more, I'm also moving my other tropical plants (orchids, ferns, etc) to the free range he has. I need only a few more things, primary being a drainage system for the thing, its a lot of water, and a chameleon.
By Rammplins
Did you get that peltier yet, or did they ship it over on a toy boat? Also I wish I could walk outside and catch an anole, that would be awesome! Only native things like that around here are salamanders...not very similar, very hard to find, and some species are protected here. And yeah....the chameleon is of the upmost importance for a chameleon habitat, but unfortunately everything else it needs has to come first.
By ArowanaLover1902
I'm going to have to go with shipping it over a paddleboat. Yeah we have salamanders too, tons, even a few endangered ones, I always love to catch them, sometimes they get huge too, thats fun. Yeah we've also got skinks and fence lizards (the skinks are fun to catch, I've only caught about 10 blue tailed ones, they move so fast). To be honest, my chameleon habitat is also a pretty major plant thing, I'm thinking of having a Nepenthes V. in the thing too, maybe a Nepenthes S. I'd really like something to tie in to my CPs.
By ArowanaLover1902
Oh and I had to let the anoles go, they weren't eating enough. It was really cool, I saw the one without the full tail today, he had a strange deformity on the new tail growth, it was black, it still is. He was in the same area as where I first caught him
By Rammplins
I dont really know either, maybe a dimmer switch or something like that between the regulator and the peltier. I have a friend who does electrical, I'll ask him today

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
By Rammplins
yep, he said that should work. Just make sure the regulator can handle the max amps of the peltier, and start the dimmer off on low then work up, not the other way around. Do you want me to have him make you a diagram on how to hook them up? I will warn you he is slow and forgetful, it could be longer than a week
Rammplins liked this
By ArowanaLover1902
Thanks that would be absolutely amazing. I've been away on vacation for the past twoish weeks. The plants are all fine, but a little droopy and neglected. I think that the light cycle wasn't fully implemented. They are all alive though, so that's nice.
By boarderlib
Rammplins wrote:yep, he said that should work. Just make sure the regulator can handle the max amps of the peltier, and start the dimmer off on low then work up, not the other way around. Do you want me to have him make you a diagram on how to hook them up? I will warn you he is slow and forgetful, it could be longer than a week
If you don't mind, could you send me a copy of that diagram? I would like to see it for future reference. It would be greatly appreciated. Image

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Rammplins
Glad they all made it and welcome back! I will get in contact with him this weekend and get the ball rolling, anyone who wants a copy once we get it done though is free to it, im gonna have him teach me a little more about it too (oddly enough he was my partner on our 8th grade peltier project, and is an avid gardener) so hopefully I can answer more questions in the future without always going to him. Also i'm working on designs for my flowing water siphon tank I can incorporate this into, so when I eventually post that I will put it on there as well for anyone else who wants to take a gander.

And just so I make sure we get everything right can you tell me the ID of the peltier? should be printed on there somewhere, it looks something like TECx-xxxxx, mostly just looking for the amp rating, which will be the last 2 numbers, but the other stuff could be important too. I guess I will soon find out.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!