FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By neville3970
Hi

I live in the north of the UK nearly June now! But still no flies about.
Left rubbish bag open to try to attract them, must be hiding from me.
should i buy flightless flies
Last edited by neville3970 on Wed May 24, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Rammplins
ehhh, Most flightless fly breeding programs are for fruit flies, much to small for your VFT unless its a seedling. Flightless "house" flies tend to be very expensive for what they are......flies. I just use freeze dried bloodworms, they have a decent nitrogen content and are cheap at most pet stores. I got mine for 3$ and its enough for at least a year. You just have to manually stimulate the trap afterwards every 5 min for 30 min. that's probably a little much, but I like to make sure mine are going to stay closed. All that said, they will be perfectly happy catching their own food......even if they aren't catching much of anything. Food is just a bonus for them
Rammplins liked this
By Fishkeeper
Go to a pet store and look in the fish food section. There should be various things labeled "freeze dried ____". Bloodworms are best, but shrimp will also work. You want something about 1/4 to 1/3rd the size of the trap, usually.

They won't die if they don't get any food, though. Carnivorous plants use sunlight as most of their energy, they use the bugs as growing materials. They'll grow faster if fed.
Fishkeeper liked this
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!