FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By bunkyz52
Hello again from Delaware, hope everyone is doing well. I've recently made some changes to my original indoor setup plans and would like some options. I was given a new 20 gallon L aquarium. (30"L x 12"D x 12"H) I have on the way a new 24" four bulb T5 grow light which I plan to suspend over the tank as close as possible. The light is rated at 10,000 linens. I'm thinking while addressing all of the temperature, humidity and ventilation requirements this combination should work well for VFT's, SD's and some types of pitchers. What do you think?? Ideas?
By Shadowtski
You might want to stick something like this Acu-rite 00613 in your tank to monitor the temperature and humidity. Four T-5s kick out a fair deal of heat. Stick it in the tank at plant - level somewhere. You might want to add a fan if the temperature is higher than you want.

Just my two cents worth.

Good growing,
Mike
By bunkyz52
Hi Mike, l think the monitor is a great idea. I've never seen one before but it sure seems like the perfect way to let me know when and what kind of adjustments I need to make. I do plan to use at least one or two computer fans to keep temperatures down and good air circulation. Thanks for your suggestions, you've been very helpful. :)
By ArowanaLover1902
You might want to check out my similar terrarium, I've got fans and a humidifier, but then again, I'm growing nepenthes. Also, unless you are growing sarracenia pitchers, your combination may not work. Venus flytraps, north american pitchers, and sundews generally don't want high humidity, whereas others pitchers won't do well with the low humidity situations your light will create. If you have almost any gap with high temps, the humidity escapes too fast, I have to use my humidifier in correlation with a regulator/monitor for the plants to be happy. Also, 10,000 Linens? Do you mean lumens, in which case, that is far too high, you want varying bulbs, maybe a 3000, 4000, and two 6500's Lumen bulbs would work best. PM me if you have any questions, I think I'll probably be able to help, though I am still working on how to create a nightime drop (for a reasonable budget)
By ArowanaLover1902
You might want to check out my similar terrarium, I've got fans and a humidifier, but then again, I'm growing nepenthes. Also, unless you are growing sarracenia pitchers, your combination may not work. Venus flytraps, north american pitchers, and sundews generally don't want high humidity, whereas others pitchers won't do well with the low humidity situations your light will create. If you have almost any gap with high temps, the humidity escapes too fast, I have to use my humidifier in correlation with a regulator/monitor for the plants to be happy. Also, 10,000 Linens? Do you mean lumens, in which case, that is far too high, you want varying bulbs, maybe a 3000, 4000, and two 6500's Lumen bulbs would work best. PM me if you have any questions, I think I'll probably be able to help, though I am still working on how to create a nightime drop (for a reasonable budget)
By bunkyz52
Hello again, I'm following up my earlier post with a request for some educated advice. I've been monitoring the progress of the couple VFT's to see what kind of effect my present setup is going to have before I move on. Here's a quick overview. 20L aquarium, 4 6500k two foot bulbs, temp is controlled by digital temperature controller and computer fan between 68-78 degrees and humidity staying around 65% using a bed of pea gravel. Plants are 6" from lights. I'm not getting the compact growth I was expecting. Somewhat leggy. Any ideas on what I need to adjust? Thanks in advance for your help :D
By ArowanaLover1902
Are you using RO water? Those bulbs are part of the problem, they need to be switched down to a 3000, 4000, and two 6500, then you'll have far better growth as well as flowers later. I'd up the humidity to 70%. Also, move those lights farther from the plant, try 12 inches. Your fan is also likely drying out the plants soil. Change out the pea gravel for sphagnum around the plant pots, you'll have far better results as well as a more stable humidity. Have your fan on a timer too, it helps a lot. I have mine come on for 30 minutes 4 times a day.
By bunkyz52
Hi everyone, getting things setup and I have a quick question. Using a 20L aquarium where is the best location for the ventilation/cooling fan. It's controlled by a thermostat but I'm also trying to get my humidity under better control. Lol, working on it :D
By boarderlib
ArowanaLover1902 wrote:Those bulbs are part of the problem, they need to be switched down to a 3000, 4000, and two 6500, then you'll have far better growth as well as flowers later.
There is nothing wrong with running only 6500k bulbs. I run a 4 bulb T5 HO fixture on my heli tank with only 6500k bulbs at 10" away from the top of the pots. My helis are definitely not etoliated. They are well colored and happy!

ArowanaLover1902 wrote:Also, move those lights farther from the plant, try 12 inches.

If the plants are etoliated moving the light further away will only make the problem worse, not better.

A pic of your setup as well as detailed plant list will get you better advice as we can see what the problems are instead of guessing at what the problems are.

The solution could be something as simple as adding a reflector, but we can't see it to tell you what it is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By bunkyz52
I hope I've done this right. Hopefully here's a couple pics and here's what's currently in it:
Growlist: 6/11/17
1 - Dionaea Typical
1 - Dionaea (unknown)

1 - Sarracenia (unknown)

1 - D. Capensis NG
1 - D. Capensis GR NG
1 - D. Binata NG
1 - D. Tracyii NG
1 - D. Spathulata NG
1 - D. Capillaris NG
temps stay between 72 and 80 and humidity averages 75-80%. The sundews are new, the others were potted about a month ago. I'm open to any advice. I want to do this right. :D
Attachments:
IMG_1275.JPG
IMG_1275.JPG (602.94 KiB) Viewed 6464 times
IMG_1274.JPG
IMG_1274.JPG (650.9 KiB) Viewed 6464 times
By boarderlib
Those plants you have listed will do just fine in ambient household conditions. To be honest they would be much happier being outside in variable conditions than closed up in a tank.

If you're set on growing them in there you need to get that light closer, get some real bulbs. I never trust what companies market as "grow" bulbs. They are usually in the 3200k area. That's fine to mix with stronger bulbs, but it is not sufficient by themselves. Go online, and find daylight bulbs for your fixture. Don't worry about the "grow bulbs" that's a ploy to charge more money for the same bulb.

By bunkyz52
IMG_1302.JPG
IMG_1302.JPG (730.12 KiB) Viewed 6365 times
Hello, I'm not having much luck finding bulbs labeled as being a "daylight" bulb. Is there a specific place I should be looking.
By KategoricalKarnivore
Daylight bulbs can be found anywhere bulbs are sold. What you should look for is the color temperature. Daylight bulbs are 6500k. It should say on the packaging.
By boarderlib
If you can't find them in a home improvement store, check a hydroponics shop. If not there you may need to order them online. I have a hard time finding T5 bulbs locally here too. I usually just end up just ordering like 12 since I have a 4 bulb fixture. That sets me up for awhile.

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!