FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By blucksy
Hey guys!

After a bit of research I decided that my bed room was not suitable for heliamphora life however, would my terrarium be? It has a 14w t8 bulb 15 inches and 8000k. I currently have my nepenthes in there and they are doing great!

It gets around 70-80% humidity during the day and a lot of sun! It currently roams around 75 during the day and goes down to mid 60's at night. Would this be suitable?ImageImageImage

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
By entropy81
No. Only because you picked two plants that probably shouldn't go together in the same spot.

Heliamphora will love the Nepenthes terrarium. Perfect spot for it. Don't let it get over 80 degrees though try to keep it on the cool side.

Cephalotus would probably do better in your bedroom at normal humidity. I think the terrarium would be too humid and wet for a Cephalotus.
By blucksy
entropy81 wrote:No. Only because you picked two plants that probably shouldn't go together in the same spot.

Heliamphora will love the Nepenthes terrarium. Perfect spot for it. Don't let it get over 80 degrees though try to keep it on the cool side.

Cephalotus would probably do better in your bedroom at normal humidity. I think the terrarium would be too humid and wet for a Cephalotus.
Do you think the bulb would be okay? Also I probably will put it next to the terrarium but will it be too little humidity!

By entropy81
Do you think the bulb would be okay? Also I probably will put it next to the terrarium but will it be too little humidity!
Cephalotus shouldn't need much humidity. If it is too dry they will close their hoods so you can tell if they don't like it. They probably won't do well wet all the time.

The heli will love the humidity.

The bulb should be OK, especially if the window gets full sun all day you may not even need it. But the plants will like it. Personally I would consider upgrading the bulb, sockets and ballast to T5 next time you replace bulbs, less power, less heat, more light. Not necessary though.
By Benurmanii
I had not seen your updated set-up before (also, I had not seen good pics of the sun that reaches your terrarium), so I had doubted you before. What you have actually looks pretty good, but be prepared to need to get something bigger soon.

I will say, the light you have probably doesn't provide much light, but you might as well run it if you have it. You might want to pop the lid open a little bit to provide airflow, since you have media on the bottom of it, which should constantly provide a humidity boost even with the lid ajar.
By blucksy
entropy81 wrote:
Cephalotus shouldn't need much humidity. If it is too dry they will close their hoods so you can tell if they don't like it. They probably won't do well wet all the time.

The heli will love the humidity.

The bulb should be OK, especially if the window gets full sun all day you may not even need it. But the plants will like it. Personally I would consider upgrading the bulb, sockets and ballast to T5 next time you replace bulbs, less power, less heat, more light. Not necessary though.
Maybe in my next terrarium.... thanks!

By blucksy
Benurmanii wrote:I had not seen your updated set-up before (also, I had not seen good pics of the sun that reaches your terrarium), so I had doubted you before. What you have actually looks pretty good, but be prepared to need to get something bigger soon.

I will say, the light you have probably doesn't provide much light, but you might as well run it if you have it. You might want to pop the lid open a little bit to provide airflow, since you have media on the bottom of it, which should constantly provide a humidity boost even with the lid ajar.
Thanks dude!

By blucksy
Benurmanii wrote:I had not seen your updated set-up before (also, I had not seen good pics of the sun that reaches your terrarium), so I had doubted you before. What you have actually looks pretty good, but be prepared to need to get something bigger soon.

Also I may just get a new terrarium for a t5. Thanks again!

By Benurmanii
blucksy wrote:Also I may just get a new terrarium for a t5. Thanks again!

If you want a very good light fixture, I suggest this one. There are better fixtures out there, but for the price, it can't be beat: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009G ... PZSNGH49E8
By blucksy
Frothy_Milk wrote:Where did you get the terrarium?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No clue lol. Originally it was for poisonous dart frogs so my guess is either from a local NYC chain named pet land discount or petco

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!