FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Aozora
somewhere around august i gained loads of drosera intermedia (temperate) seeds, but i had never done a cold stratification before. so to be sure i got some germination i tried verious methods, wrapped in wet paper in the fridge,
with wet sphagnum in the frigde and floating on water in the fridge. they had been in the fridge for about 3 months before i got them out and sprinkled them on some soil, but all of those attempt failed, so ofcourse i tought i just screwed up or that the seeds were bad.

but today when i was about to demolish a shed, i found a little sealed transparant container with water on the roof, which i put there to see how the seeds would act during a natural fall/winter/spring, i had just completely forgotten about them :?. so when i opend it i was suprised to see that almost all the seeds floating in there had germinated (talk about perfect timing right?).

they have those first two non-carnivorous leaves but no carnivorous leaves yet, so i gues that they germinated like 2-3 days ago?

but as this was my first time with water germination, when do i transplant them to their new pots? and would it be best to bag them up first and slowly try to lower the humidity?
By amriko
I'm pretty sure your supposed to put drosera seeds in the fridge for 4-6 weeks not 3 months, so maybe that's why they didn't germinate.
By Aozora
Shadowtski wrote:I'd transplant them into pots of regular media now. But bag them for a week or so to acclimate them to the real world.

My 2 cents worth

Good growing,
Mike
will do, thank you. and also thank you for this part ''acclimate them to the real world'', made me think of somthing funny and got me to laugh :p
By Aozora
amriko wrote:I'm pretty sure your supposed to put drosera seeds in the fridge for 4-6 weeks not 3 months, so maybe that's why they didn't germinate.
during the winter period (3months) the temperatures are around or below the fridge temperatures, so i tought that i'd just let em sit in those temperatures as long as they do in nature, gues it didnt work out. will try my next few seeds at 4-6 weeks.
By boarderlib
amriko wrote:I'm pretty sure your supposed to put drosera seeds in the fridge for 4-6 weeks not 3 months, so maybe that's why they didn't germinate.

Aozora wrote:
during the winter period (3months) the temperatures are around or below the fridge temperatures, so i tought that i'd just let em sit in those temperatures as long as they do in nature, gues it didnt work out. will try my next few seeds at 4-6 weeks.

I follow the rule of the natural stratification for the location of the seed for stratisfying times. IE. If it's a great lakes region intermedia it gets a much longer strat time then say a New Jersey filiformis. Because the great lakes area has some long cold winters 3+ months.

I don't think that leaving them in there for three months had any effect on your success/ failure, because in nature they don't always get a set number of weeks of winter. It fluctuates every year for every location, and mother nature doesn't seem to have problems germinating seeds. If she did these plants wouldn't exist.

The way I've had good success with is to make my pot up, sow the seeds, label the pot. Enclose it with cling wrap and put it in the fridge, at least with cold temperate drosera seeds.

I guess I'll have to do an experiment with my extra great lakes region intermedia seeds to put this question to bed. Be on the look out, I'll start it in a couple weeks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bag them for a month, opening the bag every day or[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!